27 - Wirsa

Then Murtasim casually dropped the quartz bracelet into Meerab's hand. The gems clanked as her fist closed around them, and Mai watched the exchange, unbeknownst of how invaluable two dozen stones could be.

They adorned her dainty wrist, a cool tingle tickling her as a reminder of the most beautiful promise, comprising of an impending lifetime of togetherness, shelter that was more comfortable than her childhood house, a family that was more supportive than the one she left behind.

The warmth of his pashmina shawl that she had once worn, was now a glimpse of what he intended to share with her, fingers soon intertwined. Everything was sweetened under the lens of being his fiancé, just the idea felt like a cosy hug. A delicious nectar coated his words, his actions and his presence. As they walked through the halls of the hospital, the border of her dupatta occasionally brushed his hands as if it too grasped for any semblance of a tryst, a deep need for more.

When they entered the hospital room, Mariyum was livelier, returning their smiles with a welcoming warmth emanating from her smile that reached her eyes. ''Itni der se intezaar kar rahe hain hum,'' she teased, watching them as they flooded with relief the her happy state. (We have been waiting for ages.)

Noori squealed just slightly too loud as she caught sight of her Moomoo, eyes mirthful and excited as she introduced her new guest to them. ''Moomoo, Meero, mere baby ko dekho,'' she chirped, gesturing towards the baby in Naurez's hand, a bundle of a sky blue blanket with a sleeping doll cocooned in the center. (Come see my baby.)

''Yeh Noori ka baby hai?'' He asked in a playfully exaggeration, watching as the bubbly girl skipped around the hospital bed, too much energy coursing through her to sit down. But truthfully, they enjoyed their little entertainer, lighting up the room. (Is this Noori's baby?)

Mai handed over the Tupperware of soup to Maa Saab, and whispered sincere prayers of health over Mariyum. ''Shukria Mai,'' she whispered in return. (Thanks Mai.)

Murtasim came to squeeze Mariyum's hand, and there was no canula to be wary of anymore- it was a positive sign.

Both of them said their salaams and naturally settled onto the soft, onto the seat besides Naurez. Meerab took a chair besides him, close but with enough distance that she didn't seem clingy.

''Ab kaisi ho?'' Meerab asked Mariyum, her voice laced in a hopefulness, witnessing her fresh colouring that was an indicator of her revitalised health. Mariyum was sat up, not leaning onto the cushions behind her anymore. A fresh burst of energy gave her strength, the power of medication - she didn't seem achy and languid. (How are you?)

''Behtar. Aap ki duaon ka asr hai,'' she joked, her entire presence emanating a sense of being content. Her two babies apparently got along, her husband and mother at either side of her like angels and her brother had a zest to his presence, she was bubblewrapped in her family's love and doting- there was no option but to recover. (Better. That's the effect of your prayers.)

''Dargah se ho ke aaye hain hum,'' Meerab replied, and her two prayers silently repeatedly whispered in her ears; beseeching for Mariyum's health, and for her marriage to Murtasim to work out, but that was only a concealed vow yet, waiting to come to light. (We just came from the shrine.)

''Acha, wahan mera liye dua ke thi?'' Mariyum iterated, focusing on the camaraderie and kindness of the act. She appreciated the friendship, the guest that had conquered their hearts, joining into their sway, mixing into their family as if the house was awaiting her return. (Oh you supplicated for me at the shrine?)

''Haan, aur aapke baby ke liye,'' Meerab replied in a chuckle. The entire atmosphere was light, sun rays filtering through the blind-less windows that lined the room, her bedding washed in a peachy hue of the golden sun. The baby, and the apparent return of her health, made them all giddy. (Yep, and for your baby.)