e i g h t

It was the last week of August and I couldn't wait to get my fall and winter clothes out of my closet

Not saying I don't like summer. I mean how else can you enjoy the refreshing citrus burst and the oh-so-sweet watermelons?

But the fall and winter season has its charm. I like how everything slows down once September sets in.

Adjusting my bag on my shoulder, I cross the road towards Happenstance.

As I pushed the doors of Happenstance, I was welcomed with a warm aroma of freshly baked bread and the scent of coffee. All the lights were not switched on, just the breakfast bar was lit at this early hours.

Settling on my usual seat by the counter, I see Kai stepping out of the kitchen. We didn't really talk or text after that night but since it was a kind of experiment, I believe today would day one of us dating. Right?

"Lynn?" I snap out of my thoughts and focus on Kai

"Yeah? Oh sorry. Hey" I greet him,

"Hey, where were you lost?" he asks.

"Nothing just uh thinking about our experiment." I say, he makes a short nod and starts preparing my coffee.

No words were exchanged as he made my latte. I took the chance to scroll through my Instagram.

"Are you free on Wednesday evening?" Kai asks as he places my cup in front of me

"Wednesday?" he nods, "I was thinking of taking you out" he says, turning to the kitchen once again to get my breakfast. I quickly take a picture of my coffee for my Instagram stories, never forgetting to tag Happenstance.

"So, are you free?" I hear Kai ask as he comes out with my breakfast.

"Yeah, I'm free" I reply as I lean forward excited about my breakfast. "Okay" he hums and places my plate.

My avocado toast looks as beautiful and delicious as always.

Using the knife, I let some of the soft yolks of the eggs ooze down on the smashed avocado and drip down the crust of the sourdough slice.

True beauty.

I took my first bite and felt everything would be perfect. My avocado toast made my day and Chef Kai always and I mean it, always made my breakfast the most perfect.

"What would I do without you?" I ask as I cut my second bite.

"Nothing. You would still be alive" he responds and I pause to look at him with a deadpaned face. "Just facts, Lynn" he shrugs as he continues to sort the freshly baked muffins in the basket for the first service of the day.

"Fine" I reply with a sigh, "Where are we going on Wednesday?" I ask him.

"Uh, nothing grand just something and dinner" he replies with his focus on his work.