Chapter 22

"How does my hair look?"

Diana sighed as she placed another pin in her dark locks, not looking away from her vanity mirror.

"The same it has the last 6 times you've asked, Anne."

Anne bit her lip as she smoothed down her baby blue dress for the hundredth time. Matthew had surprised her with this dress not long ago and she instantly knew she wanted to wear it to the dance.

She pushed the sock curl over her shoulder before pulling it back and furrowing her brows. Which way did it look best? Should she do her signature braids? Maybe she'd be better off not attending at all.

"Oh for goodness sake." Diana huffed as she got up and pulled Anne away from the mirror and sat her on the bed. "No more fiddling with your hair. At this rate, you will ruin it."

"I can't help it." She sighed, unconsciously reaching for her hair again. One sharp look from her friend made her immediately put her hand down. "I've never been to a dance before. Or a party or celebration for that matter. I don't want everyone to laugh at me."

"No one will be laughing at you, Anne." Diana soothed as she checked over her reflection one last time, making sure not a single crease was present on her deep navy dress. "You look stunning and I know many people will fall in love with your beauty."

"Let's not speak in dramatics, dearest Diana." Anne scoffed.

For a brief second, Gilbert's face flashed in Anne's mind but she immediately pushed it aside.

"Are you ready to start going?" Anne said instead, making sure to switch the subject before the curly-haired boy came up. "I'm sure Charlie is dying to see you." She grinned, watching Diana's cheeks turn pink.

"Yes, I am."

The girls excitedly linked arms, said their goodbyes to the Barrys' and made their way to the town square. As Diana started to bubble with anticipation and took on Anne's nervous habit of fiddling with her hair,  the redhead prayed silently that the night would be one to remember. For good reasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Breathtaking was an understatement.

The entirety of town square was covered in lights and deep orange bouquets as well as vines hanging from the roofs of buildings. It seemed like every person in Avonlea was there and there was upbeat music that could be heard from blocks away coming from the large barn they had decorated for the event. The sun setting in the background made the perfect scene for Anne to use in her daydreams later on.

Anne smiled as she saw faces she recognized all dressed up and laughing with their partners or friends as she and Diana stepped into the crowds.

"Diana!"

The girls turned around just as Charlie waved hello to them.

"Oh my." Diana said softly. Anne bit back a smile and sly comment as her friend's date smoothly walked up to them, took Diana's hand, and kissed the back of it. Her eyebrows raised slightly at his boldness but took a step back to give them some privacy. Well, as much privacy as she could give them in the middle of a public space adorned with people.

"You look absolutely stunning." Charlie grinned, stepping back to fully take in her best friend's appearance.

Diana's face was completely red but her smile spoke volumes. "I had to make sure I looked fit enough to be your date to this dance." She admitted.

A look of disbelief crossed his features. "To be my date?" He shook his head. "If anything, I was the one worried you wouldn't even be here because you'd be embarrassed to be seen with me."