Chapter 24

"The main reason he's in the business is to eliminate his enemies."

—Lorenzo Carcaterra

JENNIE

"Have they noticed you?" I asked him as I searched through the lines of the green code on the screen.

"No, I don't think so. They're horrifyingly anal, but they aren't expecting anyone to be checking on them. Give me a second and maybe I can get us a live feed to make sure this isn't just some M.I.T. dropout living in his mother's basement," Nickhun replied on speakerphone.

"Already done." He'd apparently forgotten that I'd been doing this a long time.

Clicking on the web camera, I pulled up the live feed for both of us to see. Part of me did expect to see some loser dropout sitting in his dirty underwear and eating chips, just like the last three organizations we'd looked into.

Kain was coming in handy. It was best not to go to Myoi for this after getting the FBI list from him. So while in the Southeast, Kain greased a few palms and kept an open ear for any rumors of terrorist activity. The problem with law enforcement was that nine times out of ten, they assumed that people were stupid, and to their credit, nine times out of ten it was true. However, the difference was that they didn't bother to inquire. It'd been a week since Lisa first came up with this idea, and now everything was beginning to fall into place. We'd paid visits to bars frequented by anyone who was relevant in the government, and we'd gotten a few names from our venture. None of them seem worth the trouble though, which was why they'd been written off.

"Are you seeing this?" Nickhun gasped in shock before he chuckled. "We've crossed over into a whole other world."

Pulling off my headphones, I turned to Lisa who was lying in bed reading her comic book. I wanted to take the damn thing and chuck it across the room. Instead, I smacked her on the shoulder.

"What?" she snapped at me as I held up the laptop for her to see. Her eyes widened as she sat up. "Holy shit."

Taking the device from me, she sat rigidly, as her comic book fell to the floor.

"Are those AR-15s?"

"No, those are 1975 Russian APS assault rifles. However, these," I said as I motioned to the guns on the far side of the wall, "are AR-15s. And those over there are original M1 Garand. My father gave me his on my fifteenth birthday. He had a Bushmaster M17S', a Colt LE901 and a SOPMOD, which I am certain is strictly for military issue. Lisa, this equates to my dream kitchen."

Was it wrong that I was smiling? The room was an arsenal of weapons that had the potential to make me jealous. On the walls were maps of the different states that lined the East Coast.

"Who are they?" Lisa asked me.

"They call themselves Rsamas; the Republic Soldiers Against More American Savagism. They're a brand new terror cell growing out of—"

"Let me guess, Mississippi?" she cut me off.

"Close—Alabama. Right now, they boast thirteen members that Nickhun and I can dig up. They are very active on private underground blogs and chat rooms. Most of their action seems to be cyber based— hacking and the sort, but nothing on a grand scale."

She looked to me. "They look as if they're preparing for war."

"Then it's a good thing we're here to provide the war for them."

"Can you be any more excited?" she chuckled as she brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I held the screen for her to see again. "My dream kitchen, Lisa. My dream kitchen."