Chapter 22

"In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant."

—Charles de Gaulle

JENNIE

"Ladies and gentlemen, today I stand before you humbled, astonished, and proud," the President spoke from the podium, as he raised his hand and gestured towards Lisa and me. "And it is because of this people. Over the years, I have been asked by both nationals and foreigners alike, 'What does it mean to be American?' What do you stand for? How far are you willing to go?' The answer to those questions is in this very room."

"He's laying it on thick," Lisa whispered to me.

I kept a straight face for the cameras and leaned into her as Ethan grabbed my pearls. "I know, I wrote it."

I heard her chuckle, but paid no mind.

President Myoi stood straighter as he read the next lines. "When Jennie Manoban saw a threat, not only to our country, but to our way of life, she didn't just report it. She went above and beyond all expectations, asking only one simply question: What can I do?

"With no regard to her own wellbeing and only hours after giving birth to her son, Ethan, she gave the United States government an opportunity to not only gather information, but to strike swiftly. As a parent myself, I cannot imagine the pain she must have felt not knowing when she would be reunited with her family. I asked her not once, but twice, if she understood the consequences of her actions, and she told me she never wanted to turn on the television and see another building burn, or parents weeping, or our great nation mourn, ever again. If she can sacrifice what she thought was a little, for a greater good, to help fight the war on terror, she can handle her heartache."

Lisa turned to me with a grin, and clapped along with all those in attendance. I took Ethan's little hand and waved along with her, smiling at the crowd.

"The injustice did not stop there; her wife sat through criticism, mockery, hate and cruelty, because she too believed in the power of this nation. She willingly and wholeheartedly gave up us her freedom and dignity, spending five months in one the most notorious jails in Illinois, during which time, she was made to endure numerous riots. But Lisa Manoban did not waver. She never once asked for anything. She was prepared to go the distance, and despite it all, she held on to her morality; never once did she lie. She told everyone she was innocent, and she was. She declared her unwavering love for her wife, which we can all see is true."

At that, Lisa kissed my cheek as they all clapped.

"America, when I say that I am humbled, I truly mean it. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected two everyday citizens to stand up and say 'yes I shall protect and serve my country at all costs.' And it is for this very reason that I must bestow the Presidential Medal of Freedom, given to those who have admirably contributed to the security and national interests of the United States, and the world, to Ms. And Mrs. Lisa Manoban."

The room erupted as Lisa took my hand, and holding onto Ethan tightly, we walked to the side of the stage and allowed President Myoi to place the first medal around my neck before moving to do the same to Lisa.

"And just so the little guy doesn't feel left out, we have a Presidential pin for him as well," the President spoke to the press, laughing along with them as he placed a pin onto Ethan's collar. He stepped back before posing to take photos with us. He wasn't the only one that joined us. Mina's mother stood on the other side of Lisa.

Through the camera flashes, I met Mina's gaze, daring her to step onto the stage. She didn't. Instead, she stayed at her table, next to Marco, who wouldn't let her out of his sight. Looking away from her, I gazed over the room until my eyes reached the son of a bitch in the back. He stood stock still like a statue, and he seemed to be the only person in the room who wasn't clapping or smiling. Instead, he glared at the both of us with undisguised revulsion.