Chapter 13: Getting Home

(Lightning's POV)
The next day, I was fully recovered from my dehydration. I walked out of the hospital room and started making my way to my room. I was almost there before Scarlet came running up to me. She gasped for air, and, once she had calmed down, she smiled at me. "Mr. Spark would like to see you. He has good news."
I smiled and nodded and started making my way to his office. I arrived and sat across from his desk. He just kept smiling at me. I chuckled, "Don't just sit there, smiling like an idiot, what's she good news?" I asked
He smiled, "You and your friend are able to go home. We are going to send you tonight."
I gasped. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After spending so long here, I didn't know what home was. After a few more minutes of talking and discussing our departure, I was dismissed and I started making my way to my room. I started to run and shout and jump around I was so excited. I made it to our room and burst through the door. "Mater! We're going home!" I shouted.
He was sitting on the bed, watching television, when I walked in. After I told him, he was jumping and shouting just like I was. We were, finally, going home. I wasn't just excited. I was ecstatic!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Are you ready to go?"
I nodded. Mater and I were in the SIA laboratory. Night had slowly but surely come, and we were about to go home. The portal, that was going to take us home, wasn't a black box like we'd used when we came. This was a giant, circular machine with many flashing lights and buttons. When the portal turned on, we would be able to walk through, and go home.
"Are you ready?" the scientist asked Mater.
Mater nodded, also, and the scientist flipped the switch. The portal came to life. It cast an orange glow and spun in a circular motion. I was so excited. Never in my life have I ever been so excited.
Mater smiled at me, "See you back home," and he walked through the portal. I laughed and started making my way towards the portal. Suddenly, someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned to see Scarlet. She was smiling and seemed to be holding something behind her back.
"It was an honor to meet you, Lightning McQueen." she said and stuck out her hand.
I shook it and smiled," I was an honor to meet you, Scarlet."
We let go of each other's hands, and she motioned for me to wait and second. She turned her back to me, and then she turned around to reveal a red box with a yellow ribbon. I took the box and smiled. "What's this?" I asked, starting to untie the ribbon.
She grabbed my hands, "No! You can't open it! I'm giving this to you to open at a better time. Only open it when you really need it. It might come in handy."
I nodded and tucked the box into my jean pocket. "Thanks Scarlet. Really."
She smiled, "Don't mention it. Now, go. Get outta here."
I laughed and walked to the portal. I smiled and took a deep breath before I walked into my worst nightmare.