Chapter 8: Confusion

(Lightning's POV)
I awoke sometime during the night. The moon was casting a soft, white glow through the blinds and the darkness enveloped most of the room. I rolled over on my side and squinted to read the clock. It read 11:18 pm.
I got out of bed and stretched. I grabbed my shoes and coat and stepped outside my room. The building was really cold at night, and my breathe was even visible. I walked down the hall and found the elevators. I walked in and pressed the "L" for "Lobby". The elevator rapidly fell, and then the doors dinged and opened. I walked out and into the main Lobby. Nobody was here. No receptionists, no customers, nothing.
I sighed a sigh of relief. I could just walk out and not have to worry about sneaking around. I walked outside and into the brisk night air. I breathed in the fresh air and smiled. It felt good to be outside again. I haven't left the SIA since I got here. I would assume they wouldn't let me outside, but look what I'm doing now.
I walked through the agency parking lot and into a forested area on the edge of the base. Trees were everywhere and vines hung from the branches. I heard many sounds radiating from the jungle, that sort of scared me, but kept walking. I was on a mission. When I was laying in bed earlier, I realized something. If the agency can't find Mater, then I'll find him myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walked for many hours, it seemed, but the forest continued. I couldn't even see the sky; the forest was so huge and crowded. I kept hearing sounds, sometimes like people's voices. I kept telling myself I was hallucinating, but was I? Was I imagining the voices? Am I dreaming?
All these questions and thoughts ran through my mind until something caught my eye. In the middle of the path lay a woman. I slowly walked towards here. She was sprawled on the ground, unmoving. I got a little closer, and I noticed she wasn't breathing. I knelt beside her and touched her forehead. Freezing cold. She was....dead.
I, startled, jumped up and backed away slowly. As I backed away, I tripped on something and fell. I looked to see what it was and saw another dead body. This time it was a man, and his eyes had been gouged out. I screamed and started to run back the way I'd come, but the path and forest had vanished. There was nothing but the sky and a desert. I slowly got to my feet. I looked around. What was happening?
I kept walking till I spotted a familiar blue shape. It was Sally. I starting walking closer. Yes. It was Sally! I starting running now. With all the commotion happening, I'd forgot about her. I finally came to her and tapped her rear fender.
"Sally?" I asked.
She slowly turned. My face went pale. She had no eyes, nor mouth. I backed up slowly. What did this mean? Her car started driving towards me, and I kept backing up. Her car kept coming closer and closer.
"Stickers?" it asked.
I screamed and started to run. Her car was on my heels, chasing me.
"Lightning!"
"No! Stop! Get out of my head!"
"Lightning!"
"STOP!!!"
"LIGHTNING!!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"NO!!"
I screamed and my eyes opened. I was still lying in my bed at the SIA. Scarlet was at my bedside. She was pinning my shoulders to the mattress. I was breathing heavily and beads of sweat were forming on my forehead. I slowly sat up and looked at Scarlet. She looked concerned.
"Sir, are you alright? Was it a nightmare?" she asked.
I nodded. "Y-Yeah." I stuttered.
She smiled a motherly smile and pulled me into a hug.
"Don't worry Mr. McQueen, we will find your friend and get you home. I promise."
I pulled back from Scarlet and slightly smiled. "Th-Th-Thanks Scarlet."
She smiled and stood. "Hey, why don't we grab a cup of coffee? Do you like coffee?"
I shrugged," I don't even know what coffee is."
She gasped. "Well then, we must have some right away!"
I stifled a laugh and got out of bed. Scarlet got me some clothes and a pair of shoes, and we walked out of my bedroom. We rode the elevator to the lobby, and we walked outside. The fresh, morning air had felt just like it did in my dream: refreshing. I walked with Scarlet, but then I remembered something. I looked out towards the end of the parking lot, but no forest had even been there. If a forest didn't even exist near the agency, then why did I dream it? Why were there dead people? Why did Sally look like that? What if it was a sign? Could this, possibly, be a clue to get me home?
Scarlet looked behind her and at me. "Are you coming?"
I shook the thoughts from my head and forced a smile. "Yeah"