25. Run Me Like A River

Saturday
I was still sat at my Mum's mortuary bedside, I didn't want to leave her side.
I held her cold, decayed, but soft hand, for what felt like hours.
I didn't want to let go.
I remember, when we used to have a close bond, until Niall came along.
We used to hang out after work, or when I was studying for college, my mum used to come in the room with snacks.
I missed it all, but mostly, I missed her more than anything.
I just wish she would've believed me, then maybe none of this would've happened.

The police officer came in, he looked at me, whilst trying to talk.
The police officer came towards me, as well as, the decomposing body what lay next to me.
"You see these marks?" he asked while pointing towards my Mum's neck.
"Yes" I cried
"They're strangulation marks, somebody wanted her dead, she has fractured ribs, head injuries you name it" he replied
"Why would somebody want to hurt her?" I answered
"I'm not sure, does she have any enemies?" he asked
"No. I can only think of one person, who would hurt her" I replied
"Who would that be Miss.Roland?" he asked
"Niall Jones" I responded
"He's locked up, you have a restraining order against him" he replied
"Yes, I do. Prepare my Mum's funeral, I'll pay for it" I cried
"Very well, Miss.Roland. Goodbye" he responded

I smiled, walked out of the mortuary, strode towards reception, then out of the door.
I couldn't bear the smell any longer, decaying, decomposing bodies all around me.
It was 10am already, they kept me in overnight, asking me questions.
I strode towards my flat, plodded up the stairs, put the key in, whilst opening the door as well as, closing it behind me.
I checked my phone quickly, to my amazement, 10 missed calls from Millie.
I dialled Millie...

-Beep Beep-
-Beep Beep-

"Hi Kat, you okay? I've been trying to bloody call you. I was worried sick" Millie cried
Bless her heart, she is such a kind and caring soul.
"Sorry Millie, I was in the police station, I'm okay though" I replied
"Why was you were there for?" Millie asked
"I had to go and identify Mum's body, they kept me in all night asking questions about her" I responded
"Mum's dead?" Millie asked
She doesn't know?
How could she not know?
I think I'm put down as Mum's next of kin.
"Yeah, didn't you hear? Mum's gone" I cried
I began to hear sniffles on the other end of the phone, Millie's hormones are everywhere, I kept forgetting she was pregnant.
"Don't cry Millie, it's okay. Everything will get better in the end, I promise you" I replied
"I'm meant to be saying that, I'm your older sibling, I'm meant to be the strong one" Millie cried
Tears began to form in my eyes, I couldn't help it, I felt that I had to hold them in.
"You're strong Millie, you've overcome a lot of things, I'm so fucking proud of you" I replied
"Oh Kat, I love you" Millie cried
"I love you too sis, go and have a nice relaxing bath" I responded
"I will, bye Kat" Millie cried
-Call ended-

Out of all the things I've been through, I should be the one crying. But I think, I'm a whole lot stronger than Millie. Millie is very sensitive, especially when she's pregnant.
The police have not informed her, that her own mother is dead, what arseholes!
Although, Millie and my mum didn't speak for 2 years, because Millie went into the army to get away from Niall.
My mum didn't believe none of us, then when Millie got pregnant, she moved in with Harry right away.
I didn't know Millie was my sibling, she was always known to me as my cousin, then my mum told me before I left, that I had another sibling.
Which I knew deep down, It was Millie, I just thought I'd leave it be.

I started looking through my instagram, I saw a picture of Robert cuddled up with some women, she was wearing a red bikini, long brown flowing hair, blue eyes, tanned skin.
I hope Robert's happy, he's going to regret it when the women don't treat him how I did.
Tears started to form into my eyes, the thought of Robert with another women killed me, I had a child with him.
Of course, it's going to hurt.
The more I looked at it, the more upset I got, somehow, I couldn't stop staring.
Don't cry Kat, you're stronger than you think, let him go! I thought.

Suddenly, I heard my phone going off, I wonder who that could be ringing at 11am.
I picked up the phone, with a frown, as well as, a concerning hello.

"Hi it's Harry, I just wanted to say, you shouldn't of told Millie about your mum till after the pregnancy. It's going to put stress on the baby" he cried
"I appreciate your concern Harry, but at the end of the day, Millie deserves to know. I don't know what family you come from, but in my family, we tell each other the truth, we don't lie" I responded
"That's funny, because she hasn't told you that she has cancer" Harry replied
"What?" I cried
"I thought not, goodbye Katie" Harry replied
-Call ended-

My phone dropped to the floor, Millie has cancer?
Why didn't she tell me?
I don't want to lose Millie, I wouldn't be myself without her.
I don't want her leaving me, please, god no!
Tears started to form again, this time I couldn't keep them in, they ran like a river.
I couldn't believe my ears, it seemed like every family member I have, is dying on me.
I was still in shock, I didn't know what to do, other then pace up and down in my living room like a mad women.
I'm already paying for my Mum's funeral, don't make me pay out for Millie's too...