History [Jarlo]

Song Inspo: History by Beren Olivia

No Abilities AU

TW: Smoking/Cigarettes

(All company names I listed i.e. VELANI are made up and 100% random)

I tried not to write two Jarlo in a row but I can't help it oKAY D:

EDIT 7/24/2023: ALSJDSDJFS I DIDNT KNOW SONGFICS WEREN'T ALLOWED !! I MIGHT REDACT THIS CHAPTER SOMETIME

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───────

"We...can't be like that. It won't work."

"I know." a tear slips from his blue eyes. "Just wanted to let you know."

Arlo smiles, looking into John's eyes. "J-Just wanted to let you know." he repeats, the sentence sounding more like a reassurance to himself than an affirmation.

A raindrop falls, then another. It starts to drizzle, and none of them have an umbrella. 

.

.

.

The two stand there awkwardly, just looking at each other, neither of them knowing what to say. Arlo looks at the ground, tapping his right foot in a distinctive cadence-- a nervous habit that John had picked up on throughout the years-- and flips a hood over his blond hair.

"I'll just-- leave then." he waves, as if it had never happened.

John watches him leave. 

A part of him wanted the other to stay. 

"It would've never worked out, huh?" he stares at his hands, then the side of the college building, pulling out a cigarette box and a blue lighter, rain beating down on his own hood.

He holds the cigarette between his lips, a hand over the lighter as he lights the little stub and inhales, stuffing the lighter and the box into his jeans pocket. Plucking the thing from his lips, he exhales. "It would've never worked out."

And that's for sure...

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───────

They tried to act as if nothing happened. 

Still as friends after the sudden confession. Maybe even a little more distant. Awkward.

"It won't ever work out."

Seraphina puts a hand to her face. "It wouldn't hurt to give it a try, no?"

"It didn't work the first time. What makes you think it'll work this time?"