12 | deceived

"Perhaps it was foolish to let Nya go," Wu stated, pacing back and forth with his hands on his hips and his gaze locked onto the floor. "Perhaps we could have found another way to proceed, without losing another family member. Perhaps we should have waited a tad bit longer for a new path to open itself for us, to show us that we were not as helpless as we are. Perhaps-"

"I think that is enough overthinking, Wu," Pixal said, turning around in her chair to look at him.

Those two were currently in the workshop of the monastery and revising their plans and strategies.

Wu seemed conflicted with the situation he was given. It was a situation he had foolishly agreed to, and now he was bathing in the consequences.

"But Pixal," he uttered, "there could have been another way, a better one! What if-"

"You need to have more faith in Nya."

"I do," Wu quickly promised. "I really do. It's just that we have lost too many people in this battle we've created, Pixal."

"I am aware of that." Pixal stood up and took one last look at the wall in front of her that was full of blueprints, Post-It notes and smaller, less relevant scribbles. "That is why we will need to think through our next moves very carefully. The monastery is going to be the first place the police is going to come to."

Wu nodded. "That is correct."

The nindroid turned around and glanced at her master. She could detect worry in both his body language and his tone, and she couldn't blame him, really. She did, however, have to remind him of the bitter truth.

"We will have to move to a different, more distant location," she voiced. "One that is either never found or found later on in our lives. They will have to wear disguises to protect their identity when being back in societal places. You or I, or even Misako, will have to buy the groceries or shop for new things because they will not be able to do that on free feet any longer. We will have to cut communication to our friends, like Dareth or Skylor, in order to keep them as well as us safe."

Wu's face fell.

"We are no longer going to be able to keep our jobs as ninja or even find any new ones, considering our current reputation. At some point we are going to be low on money, seeing as the money we have now is not going to last forever. Anyone in our lives, like our families, is going to be under the watchful eye of the police since there could be a way for them to build communication with us, which is why we have to cut them off for a while. I will no longer be able to talk to my father. Cole will no longer be able to talk to his father. Kai, Nya and Jay are no longer going to be able to talk to their parents. Zane and Lloyd are somewhat lucky that their fathers have... disappeared. But what are we going to do about Misako? If she wants to be with us and her son, she will need to hide with us as well. Do you think she would be willing to do that?"

"I..." Wu sighed. "I don't know. What you just said... This should never have come this far. How could I have let this happen?"

Pixal put her hand on his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Do not worry, Master Wu," she said. "We will get through this like any other unpleasant adventure we have faced before. This nightmare will be over soon."

"How can you be so sure about that?"

"I am not," she admitted, "but someone has to think positively."

A weak smile managed to make its way on to Wu's lips. "You are amazing, Pixal."

She smiled back at him and nodded. "Thank you."

"No," Wu insisted, grabbing her hand from his shoulder and holding it in both of his hands. "You don't understand. You are the most amazing person, Pixal. I couldn't have asked for a better one, even if I wanted to. I just... You are all I have left, and I can't even fathom what I would do without-"