Part 2: Chapter 60: Starfall

Galadriel lay on a spare bed in the House of Wind, arms stretched overhead as she stared at the pale pink landscape of the roof. The cornices had been carved to look like soft, rolling clouds. It reminded her of the sky in Spring in the late afternoons when the sun was low. The way streaks of gold would strike the swaying grass in the meadow and she would watch the sentries return from their patrol.

"I have never been so frustrated in my life." Galadriel lifted her head enough to see the tufts of golden hair bobbing just over the edge of the mattress between her knees. Mor straightened, face to be seen rightfully set into a frown. "I purchased them over a decade ago but it's no wonder they look like new. I forgot the misery it took to make these damned things look decent."

Giggling, Galadriel lifted her feet from where they'd been dangling over the edge of the bed, subject to being twisted and stretched by Mor. It was the fourth pair of heels Mor had stuffed on her, the other three "completely unsuitable" for the dress Galadriel had chosen for the night.

It was no wonder that Mor had been huffing to herself for the past ten minutes when Galadriel was finally able to see what dug into her skin. The solid part of the heels was thin and silver, curving with her foot in a design that would make them appear bare. And curling up her calf, all the way to the dip in the muscle before her knee were diamond-encrusted ropes. "They're stunning."

Mor gave an exasperated tilt of her head. "Which was exactly what I thought when I bought them, but you can't put them on with magic. It never ends up right. If you like them, you can keep them."

Galadriel rotated her foot, the diamonds catching the last dregs of light filtering through the windows that looked over the Sidra. "Are you sure? I don't know when else I would have need to wear them."

"Even wearing them once is more than I have and ever will." Waving her hands before her, Mor shook her head. "By all means, take them."

Smiling down, Galadriel pulled her legs up, folding them under her knees. It was still a few hours until Starfall officially started, but she didn't have the guts to ask Mor to take them off and put them back on again later. Didn't have the stupidity was more like it.

Dusting her hands off, Mor stood and stretched out the low of her back. "What's Rhys doing today? Can't be too horrible since I didn't get an earful of complaints at breakfast."

Chuckling, Galadriel shook her head in agreement. "He was talking with this blacksmith last I heard from him. A present for Cassian's birthday, I think." Which happened to be a week after Starfall. A bundle of neatly folded socks sat in the top drawer of her dresser for the occasion. They were from the continent, made from some plant byproduct that helped wick away moisture and keep the skin cool. Considering Cassian spent every day in his boots, she thought it was remarkably practical.

But Mor frowned at her deduction. "Unless he's just getting something repaired that's not a long time to have a blade made. Not a quality one worth a gift from a High Lord." Mor clearly knew far more than her about forges and blades, so Galadriel only shrugged in agreement. "But who knows, Cassian might have pissed him off recently. I wouldn't be surprised. The one thing I am certain about, is that you will look beautiful tonight."

Galadriel twisted her lips into a coy smile. "Well, when you have the stars to compete with for Rhys's attention, one must try hard." Rhysand had been undeniably excited with the date of Starfall growing closer. The event was no secret, even in the servant halls at the Autumn palace.

"He's excited to spend it with you," Mor said, lips sharp and uplifted, eyes bright as though seeing more than what was before them. Flopping onto the bed, Mor sighed as the fluffy duvet billowed out around her and Galadriel sunk back down onto her back next to her. "I'm excited that you're going to be here," she admitted a little softly.