Chapter 5: A Persuasive Tongue

It was three minutes before Helion found her in a side passage of one of the greater corridors. Her fingers brushed taut through her hair, chest heaving in overdrawn breaths. At Helion's darkened, questioning eyes, she shook her head.

"Sahra," he said, "They promise to keep you safe. I owe you that sanctuary for all you have done for myself and Amoise."

"I would rather face my luck by staying here than going with them, Helion," she murmured feverishly. But if Azriel commanded it... "I don't want to go with them. Not to Hewn City, not with Rhysand and his spymaster."

Because being in the Night Court meant punishment. It meant that she had failed her job so terribly that Azriel did not trust her outside of his immediate range of contact. It meant that she was no longer in a job and Rhysand would be mocking her for her lifetime, with that arrogant leer. It meant that she was a hindrance and a risk that they had to babysit until they found a better solution.

Galadriel hated it. She hated the idea of Hewn City, but she hated more than anything the idea that she failed the person who counted on her. She had failed Amoise before when Lucien fled from the Autumn Court, failed when she had to watch Lucien cry for Jesminda as she was tortured then slaughtered. To be in the City of Nightmares would be a ceaseless taunt for the rest of her life of what she has failed to do.

She did not regret her choice to protect Amoise and Helion, but she regretted what came of it for herself.

Helion tilted his head to his shoulder, a finger knocking a light strand of hair behind her ear in a tender gesture. "Rhysand is the only person with enough power to guarantee this protection. If you refuse it, I do not know who else to turn to."

Galadriel jutted out her chin and shook her head. "No, Helion. I can't. Thank you for trying but I cannot go with them. I will risk staying here and be charged with my own fate for doing so."

"Very well."

Helion held out a bent elbow. She stared down at it for a moment then hooked her hand through it and he led her back to the dining hall. Rhysand and Azriel were quietly talking away but it ceased upon their entrance. No one said anything until both Helion and Galadriel had seated.

Rhysand looked between them, a grin no longer present.

"Thank you for coming, Rhys," Helion sighed. "But I'm afraid it was for no reason." Rhysand frowned and Azriel's eyes visibly narrowed at Galadriel. She sunk deeper into her chair. "Sahra has elected to remain here, despite the risks. My company is rather easy to get attached to," he added with a light chuckle that failed to change their expressions. "You are welcome to remain here for the night and rest. Drink as much as your heart desires."

Rhysand leant back against his chair, the tip of his pointer finger making tracing of small circles on the wood next to his plate. "My heart desires to know why the offer was refused." He stared straight at her and she felt him prying at her shields. Galadriel made them stronger. Helion's lips parted, by Rhysand spoke again. "We will talk alone, if you mind."

"I'd prefer it if my guest was not without my company," Helion responded, terse but not unkindly. The Day and Night Court had always had a tense relationship, despite their natural affiliation with one another.

"Do you think I would dare do anything to her in your own home, Helion?" Rhysand challenged back. Helion remained silent. "I came here to offer her sanctuary, and you would have happily sent her to my arms just an hour ago. I think a few minutes of her time alone at her refusal is enough repayment for coming down here for what has turned to nothing."