Chapter 59: Love Binds and Betrays

Rhysand was out when Mor winnowed them back to the townhouse. Galadriel went up to the room she now permanently shared with Rhys, ring in hand, intending to place it on the top of the vanity. But it was a spot he hardly ever glanced at unless she was motioning to a piece of jewellery she wanted to wear and he was fetching it for her. His cufflinks and other pieces like that had their own spot in the wardrobe. Pocketing it, she went back downstairs with a stomach for lunch, waving off Mor and Cassian who were headed somewhere else.

Happy to spend a part of her afternoon in the kitchen, Galadriel dismissed the twin wraiths' offers to cook for her, humming as she went about cooking a meal. She got through eating that and running a long, hot bath until she finally felt another presence join her in the townhouse.

Just as she was tightening the tethers on her robe, Rhysand coaxed the bedroom door open, his lips lifting when he found her within. "How was training?" he asked, opening his arms so she could slip within them.

Galadriel contently laid her head on his chest. What could she tell him? "Tiring," seemed a fair enough truth. "I'm glad to have a proper bed again."

"I'm not surprised," he said in a low murmur. "You never struck me as someone who enjoyed spending her days outdoors, especially with the way you kill plants and all. They probably hold some sort of vendetta against you." He laughed as her fingers found enough skin on his back to pinch.

Digging the ring out of her pocket, she held it up to him. An offering that didn't need to be embellished with words. Rhysand's brows rose at the silver and gold band, the blue gem embedded with a diamond star.

"Pretty," he noted, not taking it. "But not really my style."

Her smile fell. "W-what?" Everything inside of her that had been building these past weeks, the excitement and the anticipation, all deflated out of her, leaving her flat and hollow. Had the Weaver tricked her? Or had it been so long that even the Weaver of the Woods had forgotten which of her stolen belongings had once been the High Lord of the Night Court's mate?

Rhysand kissed her cheek, lingering there as he said, "I think you should wear it."

That was when she picked up the taunt in his voice. Galadriel smacked him with both hands, shoving out of his embrace. "Bastard."

He laughed, head thrown back. "That is repayment for not letting me in on your little adventure." When it settled enough for his eyes to open again, he took her face in his hands and pressed a hard kiss to her mouth. "You have no idea how much I am in love with you."

"You're not surprised."

His smile widened. "That I love you? Not one bit."

"That I have your mother's ring."

Nestling against her, nose curving to her forehead, he admitted, "I knew where you were. I was watching you."

Curling the ring in her palm, she wrapped her arms back around his shoulders, frowning to the air between their chests. "I didn't feel you." His presence was like a beacon, brighter and hotter the closer he was.

"You wanted to do this on your own so I put a temporary...veil over the bond. Enough that you were, for all intents and purposes, alone, but not enough that I couldn't feel you if something went wrong. I wanted to be close by."

"I brought Cassian and Mor along for that reason," she pointed out. "Who I didn't need, by the way."

"No." His smirk was prideful and arrogant. "My mate is a skilled negotiator, able to trade with the Weaver of the Woods without even marking her skin with a bargain. Something even I cannot do. What other High Lords do not dare try. Though I think I nearly fainted when you just walked up and knocked."