Chapter 22: Party in the Garden

An autumn breeze carried a light melody as Galadriel mildly grumbled to herself about not having the foresight to bring a shawl with her. But the extravagant decoration of the garden, the burning red ribbons looping between the trees, the large posts ensnared with emerald vines that sprouted red blooms, the gowns in shades of blood and sapphire and diamond, was enough to mull over the oversight.

That and the wine, which was free and delivered to her on a silver platter, was divine.

The music called her to dance, but Galadriel had no partner and she was wise enough to know her skill performing solo was pathetic. Most of her days had been spent watching others dance in the few balls and galas that the Autumn Court held.

She was in such a good mood that when a familiar head of spilling golden hair came closer, Galadriel felt nothing but delight. "Morrigan," she greeted smoothly. "Looking lovely as ever." It wasn't a lie. Morrigan had chosen to don a deep scarlet dress that clung perfectly to her hips and chest but flowed freely to her feet.

Morrigan shot her a pointed look. "I'd take the compliment with more sincerity if you were around to compare it to my other appearances."

Sipping from her flute, Galadriel didn't know how to respond to that. She hadn't anticipated Morrigan of them all to be on her about her disappearance. Galadriel figured it was what they would have expected. She wasn't in Velaris for work and if they wanted to have surveillance on her, letting her live on her own wasn't the best way to do so. Rhysand had said she was free to live here, so she believed it. So why bother trying to keep her close? What benefit did it bring them?

Galadriel held those thoughts close, slowly coming to realise that maybe she wasn't all that free as she first thought. Which meant that Rhysand and Azriel weren't sharing everything with her.

"It's quite the party," she said after the silence between them lingered too long.

Mor looked out over the garden. "It's one of our tamer occasions."

"I'll admit I'm not quite sure what the purpose is." It was an invitation-only event as well and considering she received one, the sender must know about her. Which narrowed the suspects right down.

"Do we need a reason to drink and dance?" Mor crooned, grinning into her flute. After a generous sip, she said, "It's mostly just a networking event. Most people here are well-known merchants, some of Rhysand's city governors, minor nobility. We have one during spring as well. Everybody is talking about changes in trade prices of grains."

Galadriel grinned. "I see why you're here with me then."

Mor knocked into her shoulder and the pair laughed. It reminded Galadriel that she had found Morrigan good company to keep. And though Mor had a more vivid personality, there were many things about her that reminded Galadriel of Amoise. That kindness, the openness, the warmth. Amoise kept herself quiet in the presence of her husband and she could easily be considered as closed and reserved unless you learnt to look for the signs. 

Galadriel hoped Amoise had received her letter.

Mor ended up pulling Galadriel into the mix of dancers. They followed no true form but swirled and bounced in time with the music before shuffling off to the side with sore feet to pluck fresh flutes of wine from a passing server. 

"It's nice," she said, still panting slightly, "to not be on the serving end. I didn't mind it that much, but I never got to dance like that." The drained sensation in her calf muscles felt like freedom.

Mor smiled politely at a passing male who respectfully bowed his head at her. "You know, I wasn't sure you would come." How many times had Galadriel heard that now? They were making her out to sound like a recluse.