Chapter 2- PLEASE HELP ME, LORD!

2- PLEASE HELP ME, LORD!

"Who again did you say are those yet to be seated?" Mr Grant called out from outside the double decker bus I sat in which held a number of Crystal High seniors. A number of murmurs followed to the frustration of Mr Grant.

"Alright, Alright. I'd just have to do the row call!" And with that he began calling out our names.

I sighed as I sunk further in my seat, next to Cecilia. I still can't believe the school board agreed to make us have a compulsory boot camp for our spring break. According to them, this boot camp would boost our portfolio for college application. Right now, I wasn't interested. A lot had happened since me and my family moved to Portland, Oregon. A lot to be grateful for and a number to regret.

Well, the only things I regret are knowing Caleb and learning about my parents' past. I didn't know how I felt with all the revelation. It didn't help that Caleb's father was nothing but a tyrant disguised under an innocent looking face. There was more to Charles Brown. He always seemed to have an upper hand and this was why even though I was a bit confident my father would refuse any form of barbaric arranged marriage, Charles Brown struck me as someone who could find a way around anything. I mean, Caleb of all people is scared of his father. That alone is scary!

I looked over to where he sat. He had a deep scowl on his face as he listened to Ryan, while typing away on his phone. Only God knew what got him so upset. I noticed Ryan also seemed upset and this made me more curious. You can't blame me. After Caleb told me about his father's supposed intentions, I had been wary of everything and duly avoiding him.

"Apparently, the missing ones are James, Jackson and Roberto. Why am I not surprised?" Mr Grant spat. As if on cue, the three soccer players emerged from the school's building. "Wow, aren't they accurate with their timing?" I chuckled as Mr Grant proceeded to scold the nonchalant teenagers.

Finally, they got into the bus and we began the trip.

According to the school, we were going to have the boot camp in one of the camps owned by Alex's parents. I wasn't exactly bothered but I was so sure the bullies would all act like it was their second home. They had probably even visited the camp before.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Lucas said from behind me. My friends and I were all seated in twos on the same column. Lucas and Crystal sat behind Cecilia and me while Shayne and Carlos sat in front of us. Despite Caleb and Natalie's break up, the bullies all chose to sit together, adjacent to us. This made me recall Crystal's statement that the bullies had a very strong tie. They were like a family and stood by one another no matter what.

"Nothing much." I shrugged in response to Lucas. "Just can't wait for this week to be over!"

"Same here." Cecilia said and I almost cringed. Because while Lucas chuckled, I knew that deep down, my best friend was concerned about being around her bullies for one week. That made me feel sick to my stomach.

"It'll be over before we know it." Lucas said.

I closed my eyes and opened it again, only for them to somehow meet Caleb's. We stared at each other for a while before I looked away.

What does he want?

***

"And finally, there shall be no unethical interaction with the opposite sex!" Mr Grant said as he concluded his yelling of the rules. A number of murmurs followed and Mr Grant duly hushed them.

"Now, off to your dorms, first call is by 6pm!" What? It was just 4:30pm. How am I supposed to settle in before 6? This time, I joined my mates in a long groan, of course which was hushed my Mr Grant. He specifically sent me a glare.