Their Daughter Chapter 18

~Chapter 18~

October 21st/22nd, 2012

23/22 days until total Solar Eclipse

*Erizel’s POV*

I looked up at him again, my head resting on his shoulder.

“Why.”

“Why what?” He looked down at me, confused.

“Why.”

“You know why.” He answered me, dropping his head back.

“Why.”

*Giakan’s POV*

“Why? Because…. What else could I do?” I answered her. I mean, really, what else could I have done.

-Flashback-

Looking down at Erizel, I smiled. She’s happy today. Her parents aren’t putting any pressure on her and she’s laughing. I love her laugh. I’d do anything to make sure that smile stayed on her face; I’d do anything for my little sister. Her tinkling is laughter ringing throughout the forest while she runs in front of me.

“Come here little dear” I call to her before she gets too far away.

“I’m not that little!” She calls back, running toward me.

I watch in slow motion as she trips over a protruding root and smacks into the ground. She starts crying.

“Gia! Gia! Gia it hurts!”

I run over toward her, swooping down and scooping her into my arms. I nuzzle her cheek, soothing her.

“Shhh shhh little treasure, it’s okay.”

She looks at me, sniffing and trying to wipe away the tears streaming down her cheeks.

“Now you see why I worry about you? I can’t stand to see your little face without a smile on it. I promise, I will do anything it takes to make you happy, and to make sure you keep that smile.” I say to her with a promise.

She wraps her arms around my neck and whispers in my ear, “I love you big brother.”

~~

“Remember that day?” I asked Erizel.

“How could I forget?  You spent the rest of the day spoiling me rotten!” she laughed at me.

“I promised you I would never let you be sad again. So you ask why. Why did I fall? Why did I let it happen? I fell for you Erizel. I fell because you knew no one in Hell, and because this way no matter which side you choose you will have someone, someone who cares about you and who is there for you.” I tried to explain.

“That’s not the whole truth. You’re lying to me! Or you’re leaving something out!” She accused me.

I hesitated, “Well…”

“Tell me! Please, I deserve at least that much.” She was begging me.

*Erizel’s POV*

I just had to know. I had to know what part of me was so tainted and wrong that it caused the most pure, the greatest of all angels, my guardian, to fall.

“Erizel… do you remember when you got that mark on your neck?” he questioned me.

I put my hand over the smooth, white mark on my neck that was always slightly cool to the touch. “My regnum mark?”

“Yes.”

Now that I thought of it, I didn’t remember. I just remember one day it was there, and I was alright with it.

“I can see from the look on your face that you’ve realized you have absolutely no idea how you got that mark. And I can’t tell you.”

“But!” I was confused, “Why would you bring it up then?”

“You don’t know how that mark is created either; I know this for a fact. Regnum means kingdom. It is what gives you the chance to choose. But you were born without free will; you were born bound to your parents, with only their choices in your mind, and for a time that was okay. Until that day, that day in the forest. You shouldn’t have tripped and fallen. Even at a young age you were outstandingly agile and aware. I realized then that you could never be your own person. I waited to see if this would change when you got older, but just last year I came to the conclusion that no, it would not change.” He was still staring up at the ceiling, refusing to meet my eyes as I started at him with rapt attention.

“I don’t remember not being able to make my own decisions,” I questioned.

He continued on without paying my comment any heed, “The thing about God is, he made his children with this amazing thing. Free will. Yet you, his only true flesh and blood child, you had none. How ironic.”

That’s not true! I could feel it in my heart, I exclaimed, “I have a free will!”

“You do now, dear little one. God gave me, one of his children, the power of free will. And I gave my free will to you.” He sighed.

I slumped down into myself. I was in shock. How is this possible? How can this be true? I wasn’t born with free will? I don’t remember! I don’t remember anything other than being me.

“But there was only one way to do that. I had to have the will to give you my will. If I gave up my free will as a servant of Heaven I would cease to exist. The only way I could give you my freedom was to gain another kind. This is the kind of freedom that can only be found by angels, and is only found in Hell. The freedom of not having to answer to anyone or anything. And so for you, I fell. I fell so you could be real, so you could exist, so you could be more than just I shell. I fell so that you could be you. I fell because I lo-“

Blood spurted out of Gia’s mouth and chest, all over me. I stared in shock as the life slowly drained out of him.

“NO! NOOOO!”

I didn’t understand. What just happened? Who just happened! “GIAKAN! GIAKAN! GIAAAAAAAA!”

It was then that I noticed the dark spear head protruding out of his chest. I looked at the back of my couch and saw the other half, a white piece of paper tied to it. I slowly got up off of the couch, walked around to the other side, and gently pulled the spear out of Gia. I heard a gasp.

I ran around to him again and held his head in my hands.

“Gia… are you still there?” I begged, tears spilling over my eyelids and dripping down onto him.

“Erizel, little one, come here” he whispered to me, his hand twitching as if he was trying to raise it.

“Gia…” I leaned closer to him, putting my ear at his lips.

“No, face me, please.” I turned my head to look at him. His lips were crimson from his blood, his face slowly becoming paler as the blood drained out of it.

He gently pressed a kiss to my forehead, and I could feel the damp bloody lip print he left.

“It was worth it, for you.” He whispered, and I watched the life slowly leave his body, knowing there was nothing I could do.

It was then that I remembered the crumpled white paper in my hand; I had grabbed it when I pulled the spear out of his chest. I uncrumpled the paper. There was just one sentence on it.

‘How does it feel to be helpless?’

I dropped down to the floor, sitting in the pool of Giakan’s blood and my own tears of sorrow and anguish, crying and screaming at my own weakness, as the sun once again set, and rose.

My protector was dead. And once again, it was my fault.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Well here it is. Don't hate me. Maybe another week till the next?

-backsong