THAT SUMMER IN NEW YORK (OT5) 2

My first week in the Delacroix Apartment was what you would call a good summer prologue. My mother and I, along with the Choi brothers, spent two days trying to make my room amiable and salubrious. The boys volunteered to carry the boxes and furniture up to my unit on the second floor, making renovating much faster. It was the only time cleaning struck me as fun, thanks to my childhood best friends' presence.

By the third day, Kate Choi—the woman who brought forth three brilliant boys—surprised us with her appearance outside the establishment. She told us that as soon as Soobin notified her about their new housemates, she immediately booked a flight from Portland to New York to see Mom and me. There were hugs, squeals, and exchanges of four years' worth of stories before Kate dragged all of us to explore the Big Apple. Against his will, Yeonjun performs the duty of being our rough but reliable tour guide since Soobin still has some requirements to finish before he can relish in the summer heat.

Apparently, Yeonjun has been to New York a couple of times before for competition purposes; thus, he knows many hot tourist spots. I don't know if he actually enjoyed our escapade, but I certainly do. With all the dazzling skyline and magnificent buildings, New York is as lively as its visitors.

We marveled at Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village, Haven Spa, the famous Fat Dave's food, and the mille-feuille bakery. Then we went home with me carrying numerous paper bags from varying boutiques, courtesy of my self-proclaimed second mother, Kate. I wanted to decline her generosity at first for two reasons: 1) it was embarrassing to make her furnish credit for my clothes, and 2) I already have my own money to use. Regardless of this, Kate insisted on paying for my shopping, just like she always did back when I was young.

In light of the fact that Kate was divested of having a daughter, she made do with me as a substitute.

While I was growing up, she took it upon herself to be my stylist, dressing me at least three times a day with expensive and fashionable clothes that spawned jealousy among my girl classmates. She buys me gifts from the countries she traveled to with her husband on business trips. Spoiled me with toys and food. She taught me how to play the piano and violin, accompanied by her boys. She even joined my mom in scolding kids who bullied me in my school—albeit there weren't many because most of them were scared of Yeonjun. The majority of my younger days revolved around Kate, her sons, and, of course, my parents.

Kate and my mom are actually college best friends. They were roommates, and they also worked for the same company after graduating; hence, when they got married, they made a pact to be neighbors and to have their children be best of friends as well. Before I was even born, Kate's name was already written on my non-existent godparents' list. Additionally, a fact that makes my heart swell with pride and joy, she frequently refers to me as the daughter of her dreams.

It was easy for me to say that I missed her so much. Even though we stayed in touch for a few years after her family moved away, the responsibilities of adulthood and personal issues eventually wedged us apart, and we gradually lost communication. Nevertheless, looking at Kate and my mom in the present tense, it seems as though they were never separated from each other. They still act like teenagers—carefree and full of life. They are still each other's bosom friends.

Their everlasting camaraderie was something I aspired to have.

I pulled the duvet tightly around my frame. Darkness coats my vision, sands of slumber weighing my eyelids down, though I could tell it was probably near afternoon. My hand flexed, seeking the warmth of either Kate or my mother, yet all I grasped was the soft mattress of my bed. Their absence didn't bother me. They had already announced last night that they would be heading out early today, just the two of them.