Chapter 3: Age Is Just A Number

October 13, 2022. Oscar walks into the school corridors. As he is about to enter in class, he hears someone speak to him, “Glad you're back at school,” Josh says smiling to Oscar warmly. “Thanks, I have to get inside, I'll see you after school.” Oscar says walking into the class. A moment passes before he peaks out the door thanking Josh for the cupcakes. Josh's cheeks turn pink and walks away while Oscar stands there giving the brightest smile.

“Hey everyone, I'm back and ready for action.” Oscar says as he walks to his next situated in the middle of the classroom. “Glad to see you again,” Alex says. “Thanks for sending me the work, really appreciate it.” Oscar thanks her. “You look like you've just made the biggest decision of your life, so what was it?” Alex asks eagerly. “Well, it's just a test, I'm gonna make it work, one way or another.” Oscar says confidently with a ray of hope in his beautiful hazel eyes. “I'm glad one of us made a decision about which story of their life to follow. I have to choose between two: The Angelic Witch or A Love Story That Will Never Happen.” Alex says as she chuckles to her self. “Choose both. I'm sure it's not that hard to pay attention to both of them.” Oscar says with such positivity. The bell goes off. Everyone heads to their classes.

Alex notices Max along the way, “Hey, bestie!” She says with an enormous smile. “Since when are we 'besties'?” Max asks perplexed. “I just wanted to tell you that I've decided to not to pursue the story I should definitely pursue.” Alex said as she gave Max Kim's diary. Max takes it and gives it a long stare... “No, you hold on to it, it's best that way.” Max gives the book back to her and heads to his class. “I guess you're sticking with me until I am finally able to give this to Oscar with a valid reason for having it in the first place.” Ales heads to her class.

It is now break. The first 3 periods were equivalent to hell for her due to the fact that she wanted to see Mr Davids but was unfortunately absent until after break because he had to be somewhere, or so her homeroom teacher told her class. Alex glances at her weekly period schedule and remembers that she gets him in her forth period, right after break. She rejoices. She then notices Layla with a few friends in the cafeteria. Layla turned to her and waved with a beautiful smile. Alex waves back, as she does, she notices a dark, condescending shadow filled with hate behind her. Alex gets up from her seat and walks over, but stops when she sees Mr Davids walking through the cafeteria and immediately turns round to go and talk to him. “She was about to come over here but turned around as soon as Mr Davids passed by. Does she seriously have a thing for him? Interesting...” Layla thinks to herself, glaring at Alex catching up with Mr Davids.

“Howdy teacher!” “Lady With Black Hair, how are you?” Mr Davids replies with an appealing smile. “I'm 'paw-sitive', thanks. And why weren't you here this morning?” Alex asks, wondering why she used a cat pun. “Damn, you sound like a wife interrogating her husband on suspicion of cheating.” Mr Davids replies both nervously and cocky. “How do I know, maybe you have another favorite student somewhere else that you're not telling me about.” Alex says grinning. “You have nothing to worry about, you are my one and only favorite...” Mr Davids pauses, “right after best friend.” “Ouch, but I guess it makes sense, bros before hoes, right?” “I prefer pals before gals.” Mr Davids said.

They walk in silence for a bit, until Alex decides to ask the 'big question' which in reality isn't so big, it's only big to her because this question will determine if she has a chance with the love of her happy life, “Are you single?” An awkward pause fills the atmosphere. “Sadly, I am. Despite my good looks I haven't been able to find the right one.” Mr Davids answers. “Maybe it's because you fall in love with people who see you as nothing more than an object,” Alex says in her best impersonation of a motherly figure. “Wow, Mom, I definitely didn't realize that.” He says sarcastically. They both laugh for a little while. They arrive by Mr Davids' classroom and enter. “It's...” Alex and Mr Davids thinks, “it's just the two of us.” “OMG this is just like in those stories where the main character, that being me of course, is alone with the main love interest.” Alex thinks to herself as she turns bright red.

“Alex, are you okay?” Mr Davids asks concerned. “I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm just dehydrated” She answers before gulping down on some water. “How did I not notice, the room is dark. It's the perfect atmosphere for something spicy, and somewhat illegal, to happen.” Mr Davids goes to sit down and prepare for his next class, “Would it be okay if I were to stay here, since my class does get you after break.” Alex asks stammering. “Of course.” Mr Davids answers. Alex heads to her seat and sits down. She tries to keep her eyes on her phone but they keep going back to Mr Davids' gorgeous face. His subtle dimple, pale skin, diamond face shape, gray eyes that glimmer in sunlight and that soft-looking brown hair that she so desperately wants to touch. But all those thoughts fade away when she recalls the reasons why they would never work out. One: He's way older than her. Two: It's against the law and his contract to date a minor or a student, respectively. Three: Her parents would obviously not approve of the age gap. “My parents don't mind me dating anyone as long as they have good intentions but I know for a fact they would die at the sight of me dating a man who is...” She stops her train of thought realizing she does not even know Mr Davids age.

“How old are you? I swear you look like you're still in high school.” “Believe it or not, I'm 22.” He replied with a very weird confidence. “So he's like eight years older than me. But since he's over eighteen, it's illegal.” She thinks to herself losing all hope of her love story ever working out. She looks at her phone and continues watching an info-video about Harold Stuns. To her utter shock, Harold is in a relationship with a woman ten years younger than her, and the woman looks oddly fimiliar, she isn't able to see it clearly because the quality of the picture is really bad. Alex, of course, thinks this is a little weird given that she was just talking about age a minute ago. The host in the video proceeds to utter the glorious phrase, “Age is just a number.” Alex immediately stops the video and takes out her books for French. As she does this the bell goes off. Her classmates enter the class. “This is where you were hiding,” Layla says with an angelic tone. “You know what they say, Iris, expect the unexpected.” Alex replies. “Yeah... age IS just a number...” she says out loud without realizing, “and the law is the law I guess.” “Is everything okay?” Layla asks. “Oh, I didn't realize you heard me, it's nothing just a little problem I can handle.” She answers quickly. “Who knows, if I stay positive, maybe, just maybe, he could secretly have a thing for me. I mean he gave me a gift, something definitely doesn't do for other people...” She pauses and realizes, “His best friend, that's who the key-chain was for.”

“I will ruin your life, just like you did mine, Alexander.”