19

Instead of wasting my time, I decided to go to the library. Wala na rin naman akong magagawa dahil nasa loob na ako ng campus. After all, I still need to study and make some article as part of the preparation for the upcoming contest.

The smell of books welcomed me as I entered the campus' library. Usual couples trying to do their thing were on the usual spot. I just rolled my eyes before I went towards the unoccupied table. I guess I don't have any choice but to tolerate them.

I was about to open my files but, someone sat right in front of my table. Jacob's blank stare welcomed me as I looked up. He was still wearing his backpack, I guess he happened to pass by.

"Do you have some time today? Baka pwede na nating simulan yung isa nating assignment?"

I mentally facepalmed myself after remembering our assignment. Like the usual Jacob, he asked without beating around the bush. Aside from the article about a certain child, our professor added another assignment. Sinabi niya na kailangan pa raw naming gumawa ng isang article about sa ginagawa ng mga bata. And with that, I'm with Jacob again.

Kung ayos lang talaga na ibagsak ang project na 'to, nagawa ko na. If it wasn't for my grades, and my partner, of course.

"Tara," I said before fixing my things. I obliged, not wanting to start a little war again. Hindi ko na kakayanin kung away agad ang magiging bungad naming dalawa. Isa pa, tama naman ang ginawa niya. We're free, a time that we should spent well.

After fixing my things, Jacob and I went out of the library. Akala ko ay magiging maayos ang buong pag-gawa namin pero, simula pa lang ay alam ko na hindi na maganda ang patutunguhan nito. Sudden stares welcomed us the moment we stepped outside the library. Even our seniors glanced on our direction, wondering why the two of us are together.

"Tangina." I heard Jacob mumbled under his breath. I couldn't blame him, even I could hear whispers from some of them. Nakakailang. The way they looked at the two of us, it was weird. Pakiramdam ko ay may ilang mga mata na nakasunod sa amin. Those seniors really know how to make me anxious.

I tried to remember how everything started. It was actually our first day as freshmen months ago. Jacob and I were the students who managed to get perfect scores during the preliminary exams of our batch, a kind of big deal for the senior years. May ilan sa kanila na nagpustahan na baka raw ay magpatayan kami. Well, they're right after months. I did somehow light the fire because of what I did last time inside our classroom.

After a couple of minutes walking, the two of us were finally out of the campus. I don't know if it was just my hallucination or did he make a deep sigh. Siguro ay kung ano-ano lang ang nakikita ko dahil sa sobrang pag-iisip.

"Let's start at the park?" Jacob broke the silence between the two of us. I just nodded as a sign of answer. I really don't know how should I communicate with him. Siguradong magkakaroon kami ng pagtatalo kapag may nasabi akong hindi maganda. Mas mabuti na iwasan na lang ang ganoong mga bagay.

The park was just a couple of walks away. Since it was still morning, noises coming from children welcomed us. The rustling leaves echoed inside my ear, somehow making me smile. Despite the tension between the two of us, my heart managed to relax because of the lively aura of the park.

"So, what should I do?" I asked. Jacob turned on my direction before asking me something. the moment we arrived, hindi na ako naghintay pa. Hindi naman sa ayoko siyang makasama. Ayoko lang talaga sa presensya niya. His vibe doesn't vibe with mine.

"Marunong ka bang makipag-usap sa mga bata?" Jacob was now facing me with his eyebrows almost meeting each other. I tried to calm myself but, I guess he couldn't do that himself.

"A bit?" I answered uncertainly. Madali lang naman sa akin ang makipag-usap sa mga bata pero, minsan ay bigla na lang silang umiiyak. Hindi ko naman alam kung bakit. Maybe the way talk? I don't know.

"Nevermind," Jacob averted his gaze. "Ako na ang bahalang kumausap sa mga bata at magulang. Just take project-worthy pictures."

I held a deep breath while looking at Jacob's walking figure. That guy's really testing my patience. Hindi ko alam kung sinasadya ba niyang inisin ako o hindi. His actions were kind of rude. Siguradong kahit nga bata ay matatakot na kausapin siya. Himala na lang kapag may bata siyang nakausap.

Hinayaan ko na lang siya at subukan na kumuha na lang ng mga larawan. I just shrugged the thoughts of Jacob entering my mind. Baka magkamali pa ako sa pagkuha kapag pina-iral ko pa ang inis ko sa kanya.

I was busy capturing some shots but, something caught my attention. My lips curved into an "o" after that. I bet I looked surprised right now. Jacob was laughing with the kids. He looked light and cheerful, far from the usual Jacob I'm used to. He looked like he was enjoying it. Not only that, but he looked happy.