3

The next class passed by like a blur. The only thing I remembered during the morning classes was Jacob's deadly stare. Kung nakamamatay lang talaga ang tingin, kanina pa ako nakalibing sa ilalim ng lupa. I bet he was still thinking of the thing that happened on our first class.

Ilang oras pa agng lumipas at namalayan ko na lang na breaktime na. Halos hindi na rin ako nakapag-focus sa klase dahil sa mga tumatakbo sa isip ko. Hindi ko naman alam na dadamdamin pal ani Jacob ang naging simpleng bardagulan namin.

"Ano 'tong nasagap kong chismis na nakipagbardagulan ka raw kay Mister Sungit?"

I slowly looked up after hearing Clarisse's voice. Her raised eyebrow welcomed me as I glanced in her direction. I mentally facepalmed myself after realizing that it was a bad move to eat inside the canteen. Siguradong umabot na sa ibang department ang nangyari sa loob ng room namin kanina. Jacob do have the reputation of being the campus' pride and being the one who do have a huge pride. The last time someone got a high score than him, he really did everything to surpass that guy on every field.

"Hindi naman ako nakipag-away sa kanya. I only debunked his answer." I focused my attention on the food in front of me as Clarisse blabbered some words. She took the seat in front of me, and her stare somehow made me unconscious. She really knew how to make someone talk.

"Okay, I suddenly got irritated with his boastful look. I answered back, and the professor told him to shut up since he was wrong. I got praised, and for the whole morning class, he was trying to answer every question. As if I'd compete with him. End of story."

Clarisse looked at me with her curious look. Bigla na lang akong nagsisi na halos ng mga kaibigan ko ay sobrang matanong. I knew Aris would ask me such a question after his class. That man was like a walking gossip receiver. In layman's term, chismoso.

"Kaya pala nang makasalubong ko siya kanina, para siyang handa nang sumabak ng gyera. That man really couldn't handle the word defeat." Clarisse brought out her sandwich as she continued talking about how big Jacob's pride. She was about to take a bite but, Aris and Blake entered the scene and snatched her food.

"Aba aba, nandito pala ang next target ni Mister Sungit," Blake commented before he took a bite of the sandwich. The next thing I knew, a royal rumble was now in front of me. Clarisse and Blake were now having their daily routine which somehow lessen the tension.

"Here I thought that you don't want such dramas. Si Jacob pa talaga ang inaway mo? Iba na talaga ang best friend ko," Aris said before chuckling. "I'm so proud of you."

Masama kong tinignan si Aris dahil sa sinabi niya. Tarantado talaga. "It was unintentional, okay? Well, it was but, that wasn't my fault that he does have the wrong interpretation of the said ruling."

"Tama na sa ruling ruling na yan. Basta ang mahalaga, handa na sa laban si Khaydel. Binata na talaga ang tropa natin. Kaya nang sumabak sa laban sa pagiging top journalist ng campus," Blake stated. "Subukan mo kayang lamangan si Jacob? You do have the mind and knowledge. Kayang kaya mong talunin ang mayabang na 'yon."

"Anong binata ka d'yan? Wala pa ngang nagiging girlfriend 'yan si Khaydel," Aris asked before shifting his gaze toward mine. "Khaydy-boy, sigurado ka ba talagang wala ka pang nagiging girlfriend?"

I let out a sigh after hearing the same question for the hundredth time. The same question that my friends ask everytime the four of us gather together. Hindi na sila nagsasawang itanong sa akin ang parehong tanong nang paulit-ulit.

I fidgeted my fingers at the table while looking at their curious faces. The joyful aura of the canteen we are in suddenly became intense. I bet the three of them wanted to know the real score about my love life. Siguradong hindi ako patatahimikin ng mga 'to.

"How many times do I have to tell you that entering a relationship wasn't part of my list? I'd rather spend my time with aquatic animals than clingy partners," I said in a matter-of-fact tone. Ilang beses ko na rin sinabi sa kanila na wala akong balak sa bagay na sinasabi nila. I want peace of mind, not a hassle.

"Are you really sure about that? If I'm right, 'yan din ang sinabi ni Joanna bago naging sila ni Aeron. Look at them right now, may baby na silang dalawa," Aris stated. I looked at him with my creased eyebrows. They really would do anything to justify their arguments.

"Sa sobrang pagsama mo sa mga lamang-dagat, hindi na ako magtataka kung magkaroon ka na ng hasang at palikpik," Blake butted in. The whole group laughed because of his sudden interjection. Siraulo talaga.

"Nagsalita ang mukhang hito," I said before taking a sip of my juice. "Kahit anong pilit n'yo pa, hindi ako tutulad sa inyo. I don't want dramas. Masaya na akong single."

"Wag n'yo na kasi guluhin si Khaydel. Let him enjoy his single life. Hindi naman kasi lahat ng tao ay kailangan ng partner. Some only wanted peace. Some wanted to establish their faiths and such," Clarisse said using her calm voice. Blake and Aris became silent after that. Si Clarisse lang pala ang magpapatahimik sa dalawa.

"Saint Clarisse, Amen," Blake said while doing a handclasp position. Hindi ko napigilang matawa dahil sa ginawa niya. Tarantado talaga.

"Amen," Aris and I seconded the motion.

The next thing we knew, the three of us felt a pinch on our arms. Natawa na lang kami dahil mukhang nainis na naman namin ang nag-iisang mabait sa amin. Clarisse really couldn't handle the chaos the three of us hold.

"Minsan talaga nagsisisi ako na ipinagtatanggol kita Khay," she said while acting like she was regretting her latest decision. I couldn't help but to chuckle because of her actions. I really don't know what to do with my friends.

"On the serious note, wala talaga akong balak na pumasok sa gan'yan. Mas gusto ko pa na kasama ko na lang yung mga isda," I said before shrugging my shoulders. I thought Aris and Blake would stop but, I should have known better.

"Baka wala ka lang choices. Let me show you some," Jerome said before picking his phone up. A weird smile was formed on his lips as he stopped scrolling. Sigurado akong katarantaduhan na naman ang nasa isip ng lalaking 'to.

"How about her? I heard that she broke up with her boyfriend. You do have the looks, Khaydel. Isang kalabit lang, hulog agad iyan sa' yo," Blake stated while moving his eyebrows. Para siyang bugaw dahil sa mukha niya.

"Do I look like a rebound?" I asked. Natawa na lang si Clarisse at Aris dahil sa sinabi ko. I don't want to be someone's shoulder to flirt on.

"Edi don't," Blake said.

"Mga 'to. Nineteen pa lang tayo. Kung makapaghanap kayo ng girlfriend parang malapit na kayong mawala sa kalendaryo," Aris interjected. We looked at him with a creased eyebrow. Sa kanya pa talaga nang galing.

"Coming from you?" Clarisse laughed. Blake and I chuckled because of her interjection. Clarisse really do have a bad blood over Aris. "Sa dami ng naging girlfriend mo, ewan ko sa 'yo."

The four of us continued talking about random things. Blake and Aris tried to insert girl names to "flare" the man inside me but, luck's not on their side. Isa pa, ilang beses rin silang sinaway ni Clarisse dahil sa mga sinasabi nila. I was about to exit but, someone approached our table.

"De Luna, may I have some minute?"

Ms. Aranda was standing beside our table with her typical terror look. Everyone on our table went silent because of her sudden arrival. Napatango na lang ako at sinundan siya hanggang sa makalabas kaming dalawa sa canteen.