Chapter 11

'CAW! CAW! Emergency in the Ubuyashiki Mansion! Muzan Kibutsuji has attacked! CAW!'
...
Somehow, upon reaching her destination, Shinobu found herself inside a constantly shape-shifting place. She didn't know where she was, but it certainly wasn't the familiar mansion where she and her fellow Hashira would find themselves every meeting. One second she was in a specific room, and the next she would find herself in another.
Come on Shinobu, get a grip on yourself!
She put on a serious expression and started to wander around, as though hoping she would find something.
I wonder where Tomioka is...focus!
A woman's scream brought her back to her surroundings. Determined, she gripped the handle of her new sword tightly. After taking a deep breath, she entered the room. Despite the fact that the only distinguishable emotion on her face was anger, she was shocked by the sight in front of her. A blonde demon in religious clothing, surrounded by women in blood-stained clothes, most of them appearing to be unconscious. He was holding one of them, who was shouting for help. Shinobu stared at the demon's psychotic face and then back at the woman. The Insect Pillar decided to use her greatest asset---her speed---to rescue the woman. Before the demon could process it, she jumped from her wooden platform to the one the demon was standing on, grabbed the woman in her arms and jumped back to her initial position.
'Don't worry, you're safe now,' Shinobu said in a compassionate tone.
The woman started panting, anxiety clear in her face, confusion etched onto Shinobu's. Suddenly, blood spurted out of the woman's body, as she released her full weight on the Pillar's arms and closed her eyes. Noticing the shock on the Slayer's face, the demon smiled:
'No need to worry about her now. Just...leave her...there,'
Shinobu carefully let go of the woman and turned around to face the demon.
She noticed its rainbow-like eyes, where amusement was visible.
Huh...so, this is the demon that killed my sister. Upper Rank...2.
'You're pretty fast...are you a Hashira?'
Shinobu didn't answer. Instead, she decided to let out all of the anger she had hidden all these years.
She gripped her haori tightly.
'Are you serious?! Don't you remember-don't you recognize this haori?!'
'Hmm...let's see...oh, yes, the Flower Breathing girl...was that your sister? It's a shame the sun came out and I didn't get to eat her...she looked delicious,' Douma said calmly, though smiling mischeviously.
Losing all self-restraint, Shinobu lashed out and stabbed the demon wherever she could reach, and jumped back to dodge its attack. Noticing the ice Blood Art, she was careful not to breathe in close range.
Shinobu noticed the difficulty of not using Total Concentration Breathing while fighting, so she disappeared from Douma's line of sight and attacked the demon from below.
Shinobu noticed that her adversary was trying to use this as an opportunity to attack, so she quickly dodged, but she was pushed back, which caused her to crash, hard, onto the wall behind her. Despite dodging, she had still sustained a semi-deep scar on her chest, though it wasn't deep enough to be life-threatening. However, she did feel the energy drain out of her.
Come on Shinobu, you're stronger than this! You can destroy that monster! It is...your duty!
The image of her sister appeared in front of her.
'NEE-SAN!' she heard a voice in the background.
'Get up, Shinobu,'
'I...can't!'
'You promised...to me, to Kanao...Come on, Shinobu,'
Her sister kneeled in front of her:
'I know you can do this,'
She looked up to see Kanao attacking Douma from every angle, pure fury in her eyes. Douma was staring at her apprentice in disbelief, while Kanao shouted mocking words at the demon.
Looking at her sister, Shinobu mustered up the strength to stand up. As the demon had its attention fixed on Kanao, Shinobu ran straight ahead, fast enough to avoid being seen, jumped as high as she could and let herself plunge towards the demon, swinging her sword across its neck in the process.
'...nee-san?'
Shinobu turned to see a wide-eyed Kanao. The Pillar flashed a genuine smile at the girl and hugged her tightly.
'Nee-san,' Kanao spoke once Shinobu had pulled back, 'you're wounded,'
'I am,' Shinobu admitted, 'but I'll be fine. Come on, let's go find the others,'