Chapter 26

Utterly aware of our close proximity, I pushed Dannon away.  He chuckled, bringing a hand through his hair.  I glowered, standing up and fixing my shirt.  “I didn’t mean that literally!”  I shook my head.  “You have no respect for the personal bubble.”

Dannon smiled, standing up as well.  We were both soaked, which was not going to be easy to explain to my mom.  I mean, she wasn’t going to react well to me attempting to drown Dannon in our shower.  Putting all biased aside, she wouldn’t look kindly on murder in our household. 

“You did the same thing to me earlier,” he pointed out, tugging his shirt back into place.

I refused to acknowledge how correct his statement was.  And, to show my distaste for his retort, I huffed and spun on my heel, stalking back toward the house.  Dannon, obviously not taking me seriously, laughed and jogged after me.

We entered the house, careful to wipe our soaked feet on the welcome mat set on the porch.  My beautiful socks were brown now.  Stupid mud.  Though, it really made me feel better when I saw that Dannon’s socks were dirty as well.  That was incredibly sad, but I didn’t care.

“Have fun?” Garrett inquired, still seated at the couch.  He grinned at us, his teeth flashing.  “Oh, and did you know that I have an incredible view of the yard from the window?”

I pursed my lips.  Was there no privacy in this house?  Obviously not.  “That’s cool.  Tell me, how is the view of your ass from here?  ‘Cause, you know, I’m about to shove your incredibly inflated head up it.”

Garrett whistled.  “Cranky are we?” His infuriating grin made its way to Dannon.  “Was the first kiss not good?”

My cheeks burned instantly.  “We didn’t kiss,” I forced out after a moment, seeing how Dannon wasn’t going to voice the truth himself.  When I glanced at him, I saw that his eyes were to the floor in what looked like shame.  I shoved any curiosity I had about that and turned back to Garrett.

“Way to deny it when I saw it with my own eyes,” Garrett said with a scoff.  He hopped up from the couch and trotted over to us, slapping Dannon’s shoulder playfully.  “Way to finally make the move, man!”

Dannon’s eyes finally left the floor and settled on Garrett as he smiled apologetically.  Why he was apologizing for something that didn’t even happen, I had no idea.  Tch.  Men.   “We didn’t kiss,” he murmured.

Garrett looked between us skeptically.  His eyes cut through us, trying to see if we were lying our not.  I didn’t really see why.  If we had kissed, wouldn’t we be bragging about it?  I mean, I’d never been kissed before—not that I was upset about that or anything—so wouldn’t my first kiss be something to totally brag about?  Just sayin’. 

Finally Garrett relented.  He took a step back, sighing as he shot glares at us.  “Well, can you kiss already?”  He pointed at us sternly.  “Right now, dammit!  Kiss your freakin’ asses off!”

“Your excessive profanity toward the art of kissing is quite disturbing.”

We all turned as my mom appeared in the kitchen’s entryway, a spatula in her hand.  I bit my lip, keeping down my comment about her cooking inside my head.  All I knew was that I was not going to eat what was served tonight.  And, just because I was a saint, I was going to warn Dannon not to eat it as well.

“Oh, hey, Mom!” Garrett called, waving.

My mom barely cast him a nod.  Her gaze was settled on mine and Dannon’s clothes.  “I see you’re getting a lot of work done.”  An eyebrow raised.