Chapter 12

“I still don’t get why we have to go to bed just because they’re all going to bed,” Kyla complained, flopping onto her sleeping bag irritably.

Going to bed early was the least of our problems.  We’d all been stuck in the same clothes for a couple of days.  I don’t know about the others, but I felt utterly disgusting.  But what could we do?  The closest person to our age was Maria and I refused to borrow anything form her.  I knew that Kyla would too.  I think I’d rather borrow something from a stranger.

“Because you’re cranky and need sleep,” Britain teased.

Kyla stared at him coolly.  “I bet you think you’re so funny,” she drawled, flicking a finger through her hair dramatically.  “I hate to break it to you, but you’re not.”

Britain shrugged, his ego still completely intact despite Kyla’s blow, and pulled off his shirt.  Kyla and I both let out a cry of shock and covered our eyes.  Was he seriously undressing himself in front of us?  “Britain!” I shrieked, my hand securely over my eyes.  “I know I’m family, but please change where others are not watching.”

Britain laughed softly.  “Men are allowed to take off their shirts in front of others, you know,” he pointed out.

I uncovered my eyes and turned as Dannon appeared at the doorway, clad in one of Britain’s shirts and a pair of his pajama pants.  Despite myself I had to admit that he wore it well.  I wasn’t going to admit anything out loud—gosh no—but he looked better in that outfit than Britain ever did.

“Dannon gets to change outfits and we don’t,” Kyla grumbled. 

Yeah.  That was so unfair.

“I bet you guys would fit into something of Mom’s,” Britain suggested with a shrug.  “That woman is as tiny as a freaking toothpick.”

A freaking toothpick?  Why add the “freaking”?  It made him sound envious.

“You know what?” I drawled, standing up and tugging down my shirt’s sleeve.  “That’s actually a good idea.”  I grabbed Kyla by the wrist and ushered her towards the door.  We pushed past Dannon with barely a mumble of an apology and entered the hall.

“But I don’t want to borrow your aunt’s clothes,” Kyla mumbled.

“If you don’t want to, fine.”  I shot her a look.  “But none of us want to hear you complain about how gross you feel.”

Kyla sighed deeply.  “I suppose borrowing some of Jill’s clothes wouldn’t be too bad.”

I rolled my eyes.  “Good.  Now shut up, little ones are already sleeping.”

We made our way down the hall, all the way down to the end, to Aunt Jill’s room.  I knocked on the door twice before opening the door slowly, popping my head in.  “Aunt Jill?” I called softly, trying my best to whisper.

“Come on in!” my aunt called from her spot in her bed.  She looked up as we ambled inside, a smile on her face.  “Hey guys!  What do you need?”

I glanced at Kyla, who stood awkwardly beside me, before turning my attention back to Aunt Jill.  “I was wondering if we could borrow some clothes,” I said softly, my gaze flicking over to Uncle Rick was passed out on the bed, his arms flopped carelessly out to his sides.  His mouth was wide open, ungraceful snores erupting from his mouth.  I bit my lip to keep from laughing.  “He falls asleep fast,” I mused.

Aunt Jill spared a glance at her husband, letting out a snort.  “Yes and yes,” she replied, hopping out of bed and sauntering over to her bureau.  I watched silently as she grabbed two comfy-looking shirts and two pairs of pajama shorts at random.  I eyed the plaid pair, knowing that I wanted that pair.  Luckily Kyla would want the polka-dotted pair so we’d be good.