Chapter 13

“Well, isn’t this interesting?”

 Dannon and I looked up simultaneously.  Kyla stood there, a smirk on her face.  Her eyes darted between Dannon and I, a knowing expression spread across her face.  My stomach dropped.  Dammit.  She’d seen the pretend-to-almost-kiss moment.  Oh goody.  She was never going to let that one go.

“What?” I demanded, standing up and brushing dirt off my clothes.  “And I thought you were taking a shower.”

In reply, Kyla pointed to her hair.  I stared at it for a moment, slowly realizing that her hair was soaked.  “I did.”  She laughed, gesturing between Dannon and me.  “And it seems that you two are getting rather . . . dirty out here.”

I shot her an unimpressed look.  A euphemism, really?  “Yes,” I drawled sarcastically.  “I mean, it’s a lovely day for it.”

Dannon looked between us, an amused smile curling on his lips.  “Are you two being perverts?”  He chuckled.  “I’m afraid I don’t follow the joke.”

I gaped at him.  Seriously?  Some of the people he hung out with were rather perverted themselves (classes with them proved that).  Especially Garner.  His perverted jokes in the classroom were always so irritating.  And then Shelley would whack him and they’d start arguing, not caring that people were trying to learn.  Sigh.  This guy was getting stranger and stranger as time went by.

“What?”  Dannon shrugged.  “I have an innocent mind.”

I snorted.  Yeah, right.

“Whatever.”  Kyla waved her hand dismissively.  “Bri’s parents wanted me to tell you that the guy is here and they want you showered and ready to go by the time he’s done.”

I glanced toward the house.  How long would it take to fix the car?  I mean, none of us even knew what was wrong with it.  “And how long do we have exactly?” I inquired, cocking an eyebrow. 

Kyla shrugged.  “Maybe an hour.”

An hour.  For Dannon and I both to get ready.  Were my parents crazy?  My shower all in itself took almost an hour!  I didn’t know about Dannon, but I didn’t think that I was going to be ready in time.

“Okay,” Dannon said, standing up and patting his pants.  “I call the first shower.”

| It ♥ All ♥ Started ♥ With ♥ An ♥ Apple |

An hour or so later we were all packed in the car and heading down the driveway.  I munched on a Hersey bar that I happened to find stowed away in a fake cook book.  I knew instantly when I found it—which is precisely where I looked for it—that Britain hid it there.  He thought he was so smart.  But, sadly for him, I was the one who taught him that trick.

He was probably going to kill me.

Oh well, I still got the candy bar.

“Brianne, where did you get that?” my mom asked sternly, twisting around and giving me an once-over.  Was it just me or did she look irritated?  Why was she irritated?  Was it because of the car damage?  Did it really cost that much?  Speaking of which. . . .

“What happened to the car?” I tossed my mom a curious glance, completely disregarding my mom’s question.

“I don’t know.”  My mom sighed.  “Now where did you get the candy bar?”

I took a bite of the candy bar, munching on it contently.  “Britain said I could have it,” I lied smoothly, smiling as I nibbled on the wondrous chocolate.  Yummy.