Chapter 1

Peter

Sitting on top of the Empire State building, you can hear almost nothing but you can slightly hear the bustling city head home after a long day's work.

Today I stopped fourteen crimes in one district alone, that's not counting the ones I missed in the other districts. Having Miles out here, web swinging alongside helps, but there are still not enough of us out here to help keep the city completely safe.

Norman got re-elected. There were also a few weeks left until Christmas. People were busy and there was still no time to balance Spidey and Peter. Look at me go.

My new, touch screen state-of-the-art watch, buzzed on my wrist. I looked down at it and saw a text message from MJ.

MJ: Heading home from work. What's for dinner?

"Oh crap," I mumbled and took a leap off the antenna. As I freefall, I respond quickly to MJ.

Peter: A surprise. How do you feel about a movie night?

MJ: Sounds amazing!

I started to swing my way towards our apartment. It was actually MJ's but ever since I moved in, it turned into our home.

I moved so fast that the apartment was approaching quickly. Landing in front of the escape door, I quickly changed into some more comfortable clothing from my suit.

I entered the building and raced down the elevator shaft, stopped on our floor, and forced the elevator doors open before getting crushed by the actual elevator.

The apartment was unlocked by the time I opened it. My senses were spiked. "That's weird." I mumbled to myself.

I entered the room slowly but was relaxed when I saw Miles sitting on the couch. "Hey Pete!"

"Hey Miles," I nodded and stepped aside into the kitchen to start perfecting my chicken curry. "Whatcha doing here?"

"Mom is out of town visiting old friends, I thought I would chill here before I patrol tonight." Miles nodded. "What are you gonna cook?"

"Chicken curry, hopefully I don't ruin it this time. I'm making MJ dinner and we're going to watch a movie!" I smiled.

"Should I go then?" Miles asked. I looked at him and gave him a gentle shake.

"Nah, your good Miles."

Miles nodded and sat back down and scrolled through his phone. I messed around in the kitchen, defrosting the chicken and heating up the food.

Miles made a snicker and stood back up and walked into the kitchen. "Look at this."

It was a news headline from Bugle. A man with black hair and a little scruff of a beard and mustache sat in the picture. Beside him was Norman, they were shaking hands and giving the media fake smiles. The heading read: New Scientist Makes New Promises For The Future!

I rolled my eyes. "Great. Another mad scientist."

"Look, there's more." Miles pointed to a subheading. "He's meeting with MJ tomorrow."

"Hm, interesting. She never mentioned anything." I sat the food on the stove to let it simmer. "I'll ask her tonight."

Miles nodded. "Okay man, but since it's almost eight, I am gonna get ready and start patrol early. Let me know what she says because I got some dirt on this guy."

I nodded. "Okay, stay safe. Call if you need any backup."

Miles nodded and jumped out the window from the living room. I leaned against the counter and watched the food closely. My chicken curry was not gonna ruin this time. I wanted to perfect it.

A few minutes later, time was up and I turned off the stove. My chicken curry survived my cooking wrath.

The lock to the apartment door fumbled and it opened quickly. "Pete?"

"Yes honey?" I called out.

MJ came rushing in with loads of paper and her work bag was full. She sat everything down in her office room and came rushing back in. "I've had the best day!"

"Really?" I smiled. "What did your day consist of?"

"I am meeting the head scientist for Oscorp tomorrow! I am in the running to be his personal reporter with his time here!" MJ smiled. Her cheeks were pinkish with excitement.

I backed back into the kitchen, hiding my somewhat jealousy and suspicious face that MJ knows so well.

I put our dinner in bowls and brought it out to the coffee table in front of the couch. "Sounds fun."

"Yeah, if he likes me, I get a huge bonus. We could possibly take the relationship to the next level if I get it. A house in Queens?" MJ chuckled as she sat on the couch beside me. She looked at dinner. "No way, you perfected the chicken curry!"

I felt relieved she changed the subject. "Yeah, I did. Aren't you excited to try it?" I looked at her, giving her a warm smile.

She nodded. "I am." She leaned into my chest as we laid across the couch together. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. "I just want to spend my time with you tonight." MJ whispered.

I smiled and squeezed her just a bit. "You're adorable."

MJ looked up at me, making my heart flutter with excitement. "Pete..."

I pulled her up to my face and gave her a gentle kiss. Dinner was starting to get cold, but I didn't care. She kissed back, reaching her arms and wrapping them around my neck. I scooted my butt down where I laid horizontally on the couch. She positioned herself on top.

This was going to be a long night.