Chapter 7

Peter

My eyes fluttered open and I slowly sat up. I must've been so exhausted after last night's events that I wiped out when I got home. I looked at myself and I was still in my suit, to the right of my, Miles was asleep on the floor by the window. We both must've crashed.

I sat up slowly and made my way to the bathroom. I looked into the bedroom and was pleased to notice MJ laying in bed asleep as well. Feeling better that she got home, which was super late at night, and she wasn't with John. I didn't like him very much.

I checked my phone. The weather was going to be chilly today, a bit windy, which would make web swinging a bit difficult today.

I sat my phone down on the bathroom sink and closed the door. I slipped out of my suit and turned the shower on. As the water warmed up, I looked into the mirror. I saw all the old, and new, scars from fights dating back to when I was bitten by the spider that changed my life.

Then I closed my eyes as I remembered Gwen, and how our relationship was. Pure bliss, nothing but young love.

"Gwen!" I gasped. She fell back onto her back as she was laughing and snorting away.

"I'm sorry!" She said through heavy laughter. "I couldn't help it!"

I waved the air in front of my nose, trying to get the nasty fart smell out of my way. But I couldn't help myself but smile and laugh with her. She was just too precious.

I fell down on my back, beside her, on our blanket in the grass. The sun was bathing down on us as we both laughed.

"I told you, that pizza... Is a big NO!" Gwen started to calm down but held her mouth to soften the laugh.

I shrugged. "You're just, I'm so lucky."

"Oh really?" She asked, her smile faded as she turned my way and I turned hers. "MJ doesn't like me, even after being together for four years."

"She'll come around, and if she doesn't, then she's not my true friend." I replied, kissing Gwen on the forehead.

It was our signature thing. She'd kiss my cheek, then I would kiss her forehead. It was always the little things that could mean so much.

"Well," Gwen sat up. "What do ya say... Swing around the city?"

I opened my eyes to see the mirror had already steamed up. Sighing, I stepped into the shower to feel the hot water run down my skin. The sores, cuts, and bruises stung for only a second.

Then the door opened. I didn't say anything, it wasn't Miles or my Spidey sense would be stronger, it was MJ.

She yawned and started to brush her teeth. I slightly opened the curtain, showing only my upper half, and gave her a look. "You were out late."

MJ spit toothpaste out of her mouth and then looked at me. "I was with John."

"Oh okay." I nodded, closing the curtain before MJ and I could build up a fight that I was not ready for.

"Peter, I know that tone. What is your problem?" She asked. I shook my head. Unbelievable.

"My problem? Oh I don't know. You invited me to a dinner to meet your boss that YOU just met! Not to mention you were definitely flirting, and did I forget the lies about me?" I poked my head out. "Is that a problem good enough for you to understand."

"Wow, Peter, just wow. So the blame is on me?" She folded her arms over her chest. "I pay the bills, get the groceries and I am the one who makes sure you have a home to come back to!"

"It doesn't feel much like a home when you're never around! It's always Miles and I, here, alone." I shake my head she slams her hand down on the sink.

"You make barely 300 a week. Stop this nonsense, especially after I got a better paying job. You should be happy for me." She shook her head with glaring eyes.

"I am!" I cover my face with my hand for a few seconds. "I just wish we had more time with each other!"

"Well I hate to bring more bad news but I am moving out for the next couple of weeks." MJ leaned against the sink.

"What?" I asked.

"John offered me a penthouse suit at Oscorp while I work for him. Does not come out of pay and it's easier on both of us."

I lather shampoo in my hair and scrub
My body with body wash before I answer. "What about me? Did you forget that we are in a relationship honey?"

"No," MJ sighed. "It's not permanent. Just until John's contract with Oscorp is over, which is a year. Or until he finds a cure for Harry. Which he is close. Which is why I said a few weeks."

"Okay, fine." I rinse everything off and turn off the shower. I grabbed a towel from outside of the shower and wrap it around my waist before stepping out. Facing MJ, she eyed my body up and down with a slight frown. "What?"

"Nothing, just never noticed the scars all over your body." She shrugged.

"They've been there for years." I rolled my eyes, hiding it from MJ.

She finished up in the bathroom as I stepped out and wrapped a towel around my waist.

"You know Pete," MJ turned around to face me in the hallway. "We may be having a rocky start right now, but I still love you, but I need your support."

I nodded. "I know."

As she disappeared into the living room, I could hear her greet Miles. I looked in the foggy mirror and stared at myself.

How did I let this happen? Why couldn't I support her? Am I jealous? Questions swirled my head with no answers in sight.