Chapter 22 - The circle

I

"She wants what?!" Price shouted, before remembering to add. "Over."

"*ChhZzz*... They just landed, sir." The voice on the radio replied, avoiding to answer. "...*Chhzzh*...They're bringing her in, over."

Strawberries sat there dumbfounded. What had they just witnessed? Had this insane plan actually worked? Had the monsters been defeated? Driven back to Hell? Would they return?

She leaned against Shelby's arm and pushed the sock out of her mouth.

"Sit still," she said. Then bit his duct tape and ripped it off his face.

"Motherfuck!" He groaned. "That hurt!"

"Sshh! You want them to put it back on?"

She rested her head on his shoulder. He was beaten up. Dark rings under his eyes. His nose was sunk in, shattered, but he was still family, and he had crossed the plains for her. Once to save her life, then to save her soul, and she loved him.

"You came back for me." She said.

"I did."

"You know, Shelb, you can't save everyone in the world."

"No" He replied. "Just you."

They were still tied to the bench, with the Pastor next to them. His sullen eyes staring out into the air. She looked down at Cassiel on the floor, shackled and hooded. Whatever power he possessed seemed long gone.

"He can't see." She whispered.

"That's the least of his problems," Shelby replied.

*KNOCK, KNOCK*

An officer ran to the door, opened the slot, and after a brief exchange, two individuals entered.

"Colonel Buckwell," the officer introduced. "And Corporal Ritt, sir."

"Cut the crap, Kate." Price said. "What the hell happened out there, Buckwell?"

"She saved the city." Buckwell replied, not phased by his intimidation games. "And that fucking bomb of yours almost killed us."

"She saved the city?"

"I didn't do anything," Ritter replied.

Price smiled in return. "Well, isn't that modest of you?"

"No," she said. "I mean, I didn't save your city. Come tomorrow, there won't be anything left of this shithole."

Price stood there, speechless. Shelby laughed in desperation. Few dared talk back to the General, and the ones who did got a boot to the neck. And yet, here he was surrounded by his worst critics.

"She's.... right..." Cassiel spoke from behind his black hood. He turned in pain. "They... have sent the archangel to find me..."

"Another angel?" Price asked.

"No, not like me," Cassiel replied. "More than me. His name is Zakariel of The Primum Mobile. High-Guardian of The Throne. Salter..."

"—Spare me this crock of shit." Price pointed at the officer to tie Buckwell and Ritter to the bench with the others.

The man offered Colonel Buckwell a chair instead.

"You still ain't gettin' it" Shelby said. "Cassiel is a rogue. Angels been sent to take him back. And most importantly, you can't fight heaven, you fucking lunatic. One of 'em just levelled an army, and apparently swallowed your nuke for lunch. What you think's gonna happen come mornin'?"