Part 26 - I Love You

Well, this is hilariously familiar.

Garcello snores softly against your shoulder, warm breath tickling your cheek. It's now been... what, three whole times you've fallen asleep together? Once after your nightmare, once while he was taking care of you, and now as you and he sit on the couch in front of the TV.

You suppose the irony is that while you were originally the one all cuddled up to a very-awake Garcello in your house, he's now the one using you as a living pillow in his. Poetic.

You shift your arm a bit, feeling pins and needles begin to tingle from the lack of blood flow. Garcello, thankfully, doesn't wake up from the movement-- not to say that it saves you from anything, seeing as he ends up shifting to position his upper body more in your lap, his face angled partly towards you. The self-control you have right now to not scream your lungs out is incredible.

Your legs twitch with barely-suppressed anxiety when Garcello's breathing goes funny, but much to your relief goes back to normal seconds later. Must be from all the smoking... at least he's getting better now.

The TV drones on in front of you, but all the noise filters through your head.  Whatever movie the two of you had been watching is pure background noise now, your focus centered purely on Garcello's gentle snoring as he snoozes the day away. Your face is warm, but probably not as much as it would be if this had happened a while before now. You're not sure why, but... seeing him like this really just puts you at ease. Like you're content.

Still, your heart pounds a little faster when Garcello mumbles nonsense against the fabric of your shirt, snuggling into you some more. Giddiness sweeps through you like sudden ice down your back, but you suppress any movement for the sake of Garcello's rest. 

Carefully, you reach for the TV remote and mute the sound. A soft sigh leaves you as you gently remove the hat from Garcello's head, trying to make his position a bit more comfortable. Garcello snuffles quietly before easing back into his steady breathing. He tilts his head, bangs sweeping past his face, and you blink at the sight of his peacefully closed eyes. 

"...It's nice to see you like this," you mumble before you realize it, "Just... relaxed. Not worrying."

Garcello remains asleep, and somehow, a weight you hadn't registered lifts from your heart. Words continue to spill from your mouth.

"You've gone through so much, Garcy... It scares me sometimes, knowing what's happened." Automatically, your hands drift over to brush aside some hair from Garcello's face. He breathes deeply, serenely. "But you're so strong. You've made it so far..."

Something gets caught in your throat, but you swallow, managing to keep yourself together.

"I wish I could... help more, I guess. I just feel like I'm not doing enough for you." You blink away some water in your eyes. "Maybe it's just me overthinking, but... I really, really wish I could fix everything for you. But you're fixing yourself, and I think maybe that's almost better. Not because you have to suffer to improve, but that... that you're still... happy. I think you're happy."

I hope you're happy.

"You seem so happy whenever you're able to free yourself from your past just a little more. Maybe that process is euphoric in itself-- the ability to make your own progress, I guess... and you act so kind to everyone. To Annie, to Hex, Calvin, Ashlyn, and... and me. Even when your life gets... honestly, completely insane... I mean, you almost died during karaoke night, and then you went on to apologize for almost dying."

You can't help the small scoff that leaves your mouth at the irony, but you quiet down again once you glance at Garcello's sleeping form.

"Somehow, you still stay strong through it all... I don't think I could, honestly..." Your whisper drifts off. The TV's light flickers slightly in the corner of your vision, but you hardly notice. "I want you to be happy, you know. I'd do anything to make you feel better. And seeing you enjoying yourself in any capacity... it's incredible that you're able to still... still laugh, and smile, and... be you with what you've gone through."