Trauma of the Ninja Life.

Naruto, Yugao, and Hana were waiting for their sensei at training ground 12. Today they were taking their first mission.

"What kind of mission do you think we will get? A bandit wipeout mission, or maybe an escort mission into enemy lines?" Yugao asks excitedly.

"We are fresh Genin they won't have us do anything important or dangerous." Naruto states from the tree he was sitting against. He was reading a scroll on a new Taijutsu style. It was similar to the way he fought now, but more refined. It was called the Hummingbird style. The Hummingbird style utilized speed mixed with strength and flexibility. The fighting style was perfect for Naruto.

"Oh, don't be a downer Naruto. We are now full-fledged Shinobi our missions have to be important." Yugao argues.

"You're jinxing it. If you keep talking like this, then the missions will be worse than we could imagine." Hana added in halfheartedly.

Before Yugao could argue more their Sensei appeared in a blur. "Hey sensei." Naruto says halfheartedly.

"Well, aren't you guys just a bundle of joy the only one who looks excited is Yugao." Shikaku says sarcastically. "Anyway, let's get going we have a mission to do." Team 12 gets up and leaves the training ground. They start walking to the Hokage tower in the center of the village. Shikaku leads the way while Hana and Yugao are talking behind him. Hana slowly becomes as excited as Yugao while talking. Naruto is behind them still reading his scroll. They arrive at the Hokage tower a few minutes later. When they get there the Secretary lets them in quickly.

"Hello team 12, Here for your first mission, are we?" The Hokage asks.

"Yes, we are Lord Hokage." Shikaku answers with a smirk. The old Hokage holds back a similar smirk.

Oh, I love this part of the job. Hiruzen thinks. "Well, we have cleaning the river, catching Tora the cat, delivering groceries to a nice old couple on the East side of the village, or..."

"Wait a second, you must be joking. There is no way those are missions. They're more like chores." Yugao stops her rant and turns to a smirking Naruto.

"Told you so." Naruto says smugly.

"I'm going to kill you." Yugao says it in a monotone.

"You couldn't if you tried." Naruto states in a now bored tone.

"While this is amusing you do need to pick a mission. There is a line outside." The Hokage says with a smirk.

"Sorry lord Hokage." Naruto apologizes formally.

Thank Kami, he called him lord Hokage. I thought he would call him old man. That would not look good for me. Shikaku thinks with relief.

Damn you Itachi making him all formal. Hiruzen thinks with disdain.

"I think my Genin would like to clean the river, Lord Hokage." Shikaku states with an even bigger smirk than before.

The team of Genin leave the office in a much sadder state. Yugao and Hana are both downtrodden about their chores, but Naruto was now reading a book. He really couldn't care less about their new assignment. He was disappointed his progress would halt for a short period of time, but he knew that once they proved their capabilities harder missions would be assigned to them.

Half an hour later Naruto and his team are cleaning the river with trash bags and claw like trash grabbers.

"You could at least help you know." Yugao says looking directly at Shikaku.

"The point of D-ranks is to improve your teamwork by making you work together. So, I can't help." Shikaku states from his place under a nearby tree. He was looking into the sky watching the clouds pass.