Life's Developments.

Team 12 was walking to the Hokages office. They were going to report on a C-Rank mission they just completed. The mission was escorting the Daimyo back to the Capitol. It was a simple mission granted to the strongest Genin team in the village.

"That mission was so boring. I thought that escorting the Daimyo would have been more fun." Yugao complains.

"The mission was simply to show the next generation of Konoha to the Daimyo. There were Anbu all around the Daimyo. They were the true line of defense." Naruto states in a monotone voice. He was currently reading a book about Fuinjutsu. Apparently the Uzumaki clan was very skilled in the art.

"Naruto is correct, that particular mission is given to the most promising Genin team in the village. Pride yourself in that fact." Yugao smirks smugly at Shikaku. Shikaku rolls his eyes and lazily says, "Don't let pride become arrogance. Arrogance makes a Kage fall to a Genin."

Yugao looks down and murmurs. "Stupid sensei, and his good advice." under her breath.

Hana giggles and makes fun of Yugao the rest of the way.

When they arrive at the Hokage's office Shikaku gives the report while his three Genin aren't really paying any attention. In fact, Naruto was still reading his book, Yugao was staring out the window, and Hana was playing with her three partners. The Hokage and Shikaku let the three mind their own business and the meeting ends quickly.

As they leave the office Shikaku smirks and says, "Meet me at our training ground in thirty minutes." Then he disappears in a body flicker. 

30 minutes later team 12 minus their Sensei were at their assigned training ground. "Why do you think he wants us at the training ground right now? Usually, we get released to do whatever we want after we finish missions." Yugao asks with curiosity.

"I have no idea. Sensei did have a weird look on his face as he left though. It looked like curiosity mixed with his shogi face." Hana replied. Shikaku's Shogi face is what the Genin decided to call the face he makes when he is solving puzzles or making a strategy. Most of the time he wore the face when he played shogi with Naruto.

"What do you think Naruto?" Yugao asks. Naruto was sitting a little ways away against a tree. He was reading a book minding his own business. Naruto just shrugged his shoulders showing he really didn't care. "Wow very helpful Mr. Broody." Yugao says sarcastically.

"Hn." Naruto says with annoyance. Yugao just rolled her eyes. Naruto's eyes widened slightly. "Did I just say Hn? I've been hanging out with Itachi to much." He thinks.

Then in a puff of smoke their sensei stood in front of them. In his hand were three small pieces of paper. "I assume that all three of you know the tree and water walking exercises, correct?" Seeing his three students nod he continues. "Then I am going to teach you your elemental affinities." He looked down at his three Genin. Yugao was overjoyed, Hana seemed pleased, and Naruto looked indifferent. Exactly what he expected.

Shikaku raises the pieces of paper in front of the Genins' faces. "These papers are Chakra papers. When used they show you which element you are naturally affiliated with. This does not mean that you can't learn the other elements. It just means that the element you get is going to be more powerful and easier to use. I want each of you to take one of these papers and push chakra into it. If the paper crumbles to dust, then you have an affinity towards Earth. If the paper splits in half, then you have an affinity towards Wind. If the paper lights on fire, then you have an affinity towards Fire. If the paper becomes damp, you have an affinity towards Water, and lastly if the paper crumbles into a ball, then you have an affinity towards Lightning." Shikaku explained.