1

FUSE

"Let's go to the diner. It's the only thing open." I cursed under my breath at Gash's suggestion. I had avoided going there for close to 10 months now. I hated going and seeing Daisy, someone I should have made a move on but was now in her little happy relationship bubble with a doctor.

"I think I am just going to go home and make something-"

"You know she's single right?" I paused at Gash's words and looked back over at him to see if he was just playing around. But he wasn't, he was looking at me like he was waiting for an answer.

"I don't care-" Lie. Lie. Lie. If I lie enough it will be true.

"She's single, she's asked about you, stop avoiding her just because you know she's had her cherry popped." I felt my body lock up tight. Daisy was a free woman she could give herself to anyone. It should have been me but I am a fucking dumbass.

"Don't give him any shit, Let's just go get some food, she might not even be there." Rowdy was gruff and I knew he was tired as well as hungry.

"Fine." I mumbled under my breath. I didn't want to think about her not being a virgin for me. It didn't matter because she would never be mine, not that I would care if she did choose me, but.. damn it should have been me,

We rode out from the ditches we were filling with bodies and headed right to the diner, I didn't' see her when we walked in and chose a booth, and it wasn't until I had looked at the menu that I felt the need to piss. I stood told them I would be hitting the head and walked back.

"I don't know why you keep calling me." I looked up at the sound of her sad voice and saw Daisy standing in the back corner of the cafe with her phone to her ear. I watched her for a minute and she sighed and I could see her eyes were closed as she slowly turned. "I don't owe you anything. You've done me no favors-" she must have been cut off and she leaned her head against the wall now. "Just stop-"

She sobbed as she hit the end button and she cut that off and took some deep breaths. "You ok?" She jumped so hard at the sounds of my voice her knees knocked the wall.

"Yes. Just fine. Thank you." She didn't turn and look at me and I knew she was lying. "Excuse me." She faced the wall, took 2 steps and went into the bathroom. At least our first interaction wasn't awkward.

I shook my head, no use helping someone who doesn't want help, let alone with an ex. It made my stomach hurt to think about her dealing with a man, butt Daisy wasn't one for wanting help with anything. I headed back to my table after I was done and slapped Gash on the back before he scooted over for me.

"Order yet?" I asked and they shook their heads. "Good, I hate waiting."

"Hello. What can I get you guys?" I looked up and over at Daisy and she was as put together as a rag doll. Fuck me maybe her ex did deserve a visit if he was harassing her.

"Decaf coffee for me." My eyes swung to Rowdy as he clipped that out and she nodded.

"I'll take an iced tea honey." Gash told her and winked but she didn't do anything but look down at me.

"I'll take a iced tea too, extra lemon." I told her and she nodded.

"Still need time for the food order?" She asked looking at all of us now but I knew what I wanted. Her, spread for me. Like I have since I was 22.

Daisy and I were always around each other. She was about 3 years behind me but she and I grew up on the same block, I had a shitty little house and she lived in the trailer park. She's been working since she could hold a hot plate and she never asked for anything. She used to be pretty, smiling and happy and while she could smile more... she was absolutely perfect. Maybe a little too thin but her 25 years, despite stress and crying have made her beautiful.