Twenty eight | shattered trust

Why don't you care?
I gave you all of me
My blood, my sweat, my heart, and my tears
Why don't you care, why don't you care?
I was there, I was there, when no one was
Now you're gone and I'm here

I have questions — Camila Cabello

Every step towards Maxon's room intensified the turmoil within me. Trembling hands, a churning stomach, and a racing heart all echoed the overwhelming anxiety consuming me.

Where should I even begin? Will he listen? Will he still be there?

Irony struck as I stood before his door, knowing I had asked him to stay away, yet finding myself inexplicably drawn to this spot once again.

Before my hand could touch the wooden surface, the door swung open abruptly, revealing Maxon on the other side. His reaction mirrored my own, both of us frozen in disbelief.

I tried to speak, but my words failed me, as if I had forgotten how to form coherent sentences. Opening and closing my mouth, I finally managed to find my voice.

"Can I talk to you?" The question sounded more dramatic than intended, escaping my lips.

Maxon's body tensed, and without a word, he slammed the door shut in my face.

Yet, it took no more than a few seconds for the door to swing open again, Maxon now holding his cell phone, gesturing for me to enter.

As the door closed behind me, our eyes met, locking in an intense gaze. His face etched with distress, his body taut with tension, he extended the cell phone towards me.

Confused, I accepted it, only to realize that a video was playing—no ordinary video.

"What is this?" I asked, my gaze darting between Maxon and the screen, which displayed an intimate moment from the previous night, now captured in a video within my trembling hands.

Maxon shifted, the weight of his revelation already on his lips.

"Do you want the truth, Margo?" He retrieved the phone from my grasp. "Well, here it is. All this time, I approached you as part of a plan to pay off my debts. I needed someone with access to my father's office, and you seemed perfect for the job."

His words rushed out, leaving me struggling to process their meaning.

I couldn't fathom the connection between my question and his father's bank transfers, but I refrained from asking. Something told me he hadn't finished explaining yet.

"But of course, I couldn't expect you to sabotage your boss's office willingly, especially since you didn't like me when we first met. So, I needed to find something to blackmail you with. That's why I got close to you, dismantling the image you had of me."

It took time for his words to register, and when they did, the ground seemed to disappear beneath me.

I had never been stabbed, but this felt just as agonizing. A stab in the back, a pain that traveled through my core.

"You're saying... you used me all this time to achieve your goals?" I asked, my voice laced with indignation. "And what if I refuse to cooperate with your plan?"

There are moments when we already know the answer, yet we cannot help but ask the question.

"I'll be a bastard and expose the existence of this video to the whole school," he stated, his words hitting me like a punch to the gut. "Unless... you help me... with a robbery."

No... this couldn't be happening. He couldn't be so heartless.

I struggled to find my voice, but the words remained trapped in my throat, forming a lump.