Five

8:34 AM

My first day of school started late.

Due to a simple and foolish mistake, I set my alarm for eight in the evening instead of eight in the morning. It's surprising how slow I can be sometimes.

In a rush, I take the quickest shower of my life and throw on my go-to casual outfit: a yellow hoodie, jeans that accentuate my rear, and a pair of Adidas sneakers.

"Good morning, Mrs. Karen," I greet.

My mom stands two meters away from her boss, who's having breakfast at the table, ready to fulfill any requests.

"Good morning, dear," she graciously replies. "First day of school?"

"Yes... thank God it's the last year."

Sighing, I remind myself that next year I'll finally be free from all of this.

"I don't think you'll be thanking God when you have to go to college," she teases.

"Maybe... But it's comforting to know that I'll be able to sleep in."

My mom shakes her head, mock seriousness in her eyes, while Mrs. Karen smiles.

"Don't you like getting up early?"

"Does anyone?"

"Waking up early is supposed to make us more energetic," Mrs. Karen suggests.

I can't help but make a face.

"Only energetic enough to knock someone out," I quip.

"Margo!" my mother calls me, reprimanding my comment.

"It's alright, Kiara," Mrs. Karen says, still chuckling. "I appreciate your daughter's honesty."

Grateful, I offer a small smile.

"Which school are you going to?" she asks, taking a sip of water.

"Jackson Park High School," I reply, and her drinking abruptly stops. She looks at me as if I've sprouted a third eye.

"Jackson Park?!" she exclaims, her face paling.

"Yes... why?"

"Oh, dear," she responds. "I don't think it's a good school for you; it primarily serves students from the South side."

It takes a moment for me to grasp the meaning behind her words and why they sound so ominous. But all I can gather is that it's something unfavorable.

"You should consider Roosevelt High School instead. It's an excellent school," she suggests.

"Unfortunately, Mrs. Karen," my mother interjects, "I can't afford a private school for Margo, and Jackson Park is the closest public school to our condominium."

She has the means, but if she had to pay for my school this year, she wouldn't be able to afford my college tuition. It's a matter of priorities.

"Well... that's a shame," Mrs. Karen murmurs, dabbing her mouth with a napkin.

"Um... I think I'm running late. I better go," I hurriedly say. "Excuse me. See you later."

As I head toward the exit, I collide with a person who possesses muscles that hint at a regular gym routine. The impact causes me to stumble back, and against my better judgment, I glance at the face before me. It's none other than Maxon, the only person I know who wears a genuine black leather jacket.

"Excuse me," I retort with a cynical smile.

He glances at my face, tilting his head slightly, before stepping aside and gesturing for me to pass.