Eigth

I should be buried in my Chemistry assignment, digging into the complexities of atoms and molecules, but instead, here I am, perched on the cool balcony floor, gazing into the vast expanse of nothingness, lost in the labyrinth of my own thoughts.

The ache of longing for my friends intensifies with each passing day. Sure, we still manage to connect through video calls, but it's just not the same. You know that feeling when you realize that the bonds you once cherished are slowly slipping away, even though promises of eternal friendship were made?

Well, I suppose nothing truly lasts forever.

"How's school treating you?" My mom's voice startles me as she appears in the doorway.

"Same old, same old," I reply absentmindedly, my gaze still fixed on the distant horizon.

"Is it really that bad?" she ventures closer, concern etching lines on her face.

I bite my cheek and finally glance up at her.

"It's not the kind of school I would have chosen if I had a say in the matter."

"Have you made any friends yet?"

I shake my head, a heavy sigh escaping my lips.

"I wish there was another way," she laments. "We could explore other schools, but it would mean a longer commute for you, about ten blocks every day."

"No, it's fine. It's not the worst school in the world... just not the best," I force a smile, masking my inner turmoil.

"Alright. Do you have any homework to do? I haven't seen you with your notebooks in the past few days."

"No," I lie, the words slipping from my mouth effortlessly. "They must have pushed it to next week."

Truth be told, I simply don't feel like tackling that assignment right now. Call it irresponsibility, but my mind reasons that there's always tomorrow to get things done.

The teacher did mention that the deadline is Wednesday, after all. So, Wednesday it is.

***

"Taking my ride today?" a voice interrupts my thoughts, and I glance to the side, spotting a guy on a sleek motorcycle matching my walking pace along the sidewalk.

"Don't you ever give up?" I retort, my voice laced with a hint of annoyance.

Maxon slows down the motorbike, aligning his speed with my leisurely stride.

"On what? Trying to be nice to you?" he quips. "If you prefer, I can always revert to being the guy who drenched you in soda and turned you into a human sponge on the sidewalk."

"I know what you're up to," I divert the conversation, my eyes narrowing.

"Do you?"

"Yeah. You want to convince me to hop on that bike, whisk me away to some secluded spot, and leave me stranded, clueless about finding my way back. Frankly, Maxon, do you think I don't watch movies?"

"You just gave me an intriguing idea, I must admit," he says with a smirk.

I roll my eyes, refusing to indulge in his banter any longer.

"But if I did that," he adds, "you'd figure out a way to get back at me as soon as you stumbled upon a phone. So, besides taking you to an abandoned place, if my goal was to truly get rid of you, I'd have to resort to murder and hide the evidence... and that's a lot of effort," he says casually, as if discussing the weather or the price of flour.

"Probably," I respond nonchalantly, my focus fixed on continuing my journey to school, determined to pay no more attention to this enigmatic boy.

"But I'm no killer," he asserts.

A Bad Boy in my life जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें