Chapter 9

Annika POV

We made it past the past rounds and are in the fourth round of the Innerhigh preliminaries. The boys were warming up and the other team hadn't shown up yet. I was off to the side of the court on the phone with my manager. I was trying to settle some things for my next photo shoot, and whether I was going to do it for basketball monthly, or another magazine. "I think that we make it for Basketball Monthly. It would be great publicity for the high school Innerhigh tournament and I get to show another part of my life other than being a model," I told my manager and she agreed with the idea, but there was one flaw she brought up. "But with the publicity, comes the crazed fans showing up to things trying to see you in person, and that puts your safety at risk, and the safety of the fans that go to the games with watch the Innerhigh. I suggest you go with a shoot for Teen Model Weekly, It would include a shoot and interview. This would be the safer bet, and you don't have to worry about the crazed fans finding you at your hobbies," she suggested. I ended up agreeing with her because her points about my safety were very realistic. I couldn't risk the safety of the Serin boys or the fans that come to watch, along with my own. "That sounds good," I said and we said our goodbyes and hung up.

"What was that about?" Riko asked as I walked back to the bench. "Oh, my manager wanted to sort out who I would do a photo shoot for this month," I told her. "Oh, what were the options?" she questioned. "Basketball Monthly and Teen Model Weekly," I answered. "What, you have the option to pose for Basketball Monthly?!? That's a big deal, did you take it?" she questioned again, shocked by my response. "No, it could endanger me, the players, and the people going to watch with crazed fans that come to see me," I replied with a nervous smile. "Oh, well that makes sense, but that's still great you're getting another popular magazine shoot," she stated and I chuckled. "Yeah I guess," I said.

When I glanced at the boys they were talking to the other team. I looked closer, and I saw they were the guys from the streetball court. They seemed to be pretty scared of the fact that Kagami and Kuroko were playing them again. I think cause last time they got knocked to their knees.

We ended the game with a score of 108-41 with us winning. I wasn't surprised that the entire team was scared the whole time we played them. The guys were on the bench resting before we had to get off for the next game. Hugya brought up something about the 3 major teams in Tokyo. "Over the last decade or so, there have been the same 3 schools that go to the championship league every year, to represent Tokyo," he said. "Oh, you're talking about the three kings of Tokyo," I popped in. "Yeah, King of the East Shutoku, King of the West Senhinkun,  and King of the North Seiho. They're evenly matched, so the top team always changes, but no one has ever surpassed them," Hugya continued. "Well, looking at the bracket, if and when we win this round, we have the semifinals and the finals. If the bracket keeps going the way it should, then we would play none other than the King of the East Shutoku High School. And from my research, that is the school that Shintoro Mirdorima, the shooting guard from the Generation of Miracles, goes to," I said and the whole team was shocked. They seem uneasy, but I didn't blame them. Shintoro is the real deal when it comes to shooting and was one of the 3-point shooters in the country. "That may have been the case last year, but we didn't stand a chance," Hyuga said sounding defeated. 

Then the door opened, and players in the Shutoku uniforms came walking in toward the bench. "So they're here," Hyuga said. "In times like this, it's best to see things for yourself, rather than hearing about them," Riko said. I turned to look at them and saw Midorima. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach seeing him again. I began to walk away but was stopped when Kuroko grabbed my hand. "What?" I questioned. "Stay, I'll stay with you," he answered. "But after I left without a word, I don't think that any of them would want to see me," I said looking down at the floor. "Kise was happy to see you. It may be hard at first but you'll pull through," Kuroko said and I smiled.

Midorima POV

I was walking to the bench when I saw a girl at the end of it with Kuroko. She looked like Annika but there was absolutely no way she was here of all places. When we walked up and guy with red hair in the Serin uniform walked up to me. "Hello?" I said rather confused. "Can I help you?" I said in my flat voice. "I'd like to introduce myself," the male said while sticking out his hand. "A handshake? Very well," I said and stuck my hand out as well. The guy then grabbed my hand and wrote on it with a marker. It read, 'Hi my name is Tiaga Kagami, number 10, nice to meet you.' "Is this a joke?" I asked flat and confused. "I get a feeling you're the type of guy that wouldn't remember me if I did some ordinary ass introduction. So at least you'll remember who I am," the redhead said with a smirk. "Hmmm, ok then Tiaga Kagami, then let me show you how I a with my play, and you will see how much different we are," I said. "Midorima, you won't know how we are until you play us," Kuroko said with the girl from before behind him hiding her face. "Kuroko, I really do not like you," I said and the girl behind him's head popped up and I got a good look at her face. "Annika," I said a little taken aback by her presence. "Shintaro, good to see you," She said. 

Annika POV

After I greeted Mirdorima, I was about to walk away, but someone else spoke up. "I guess the rumors were true," A black-haired male said as he walked over. "The Annika Nishimura is going to Serin High," he stated with a smile. "Yeah, so what?" Kagai asked the guy. "I guess you don't care that you have a supermodel as your manager. Also, I don't think that the championship league would have been so bad if she were there last year," the guy said. "What do you mean?" Fukata asked. "Have you upperclassmen told you anything?" Toako said with a sly smile.