chapter seventeen

yumie <3
saturday 08:12

are you going to my game today?

if you are, can we meet up before
warm ups?

i want to see you for good luck <3
delivered

iwaizumi sighed, looking down at his phone again

iwaizumi sighed, looking down at his phone again. he sent the text three hours ago and he has to start warming up in about thirty minutes, yet he still hasn't seen his girlfriend. although he doesn't want to admit it, he's getting more anxious by the minute.

"hey iwa, are you gonna eat any of the snacks i picked up from y/n-chan's?" matsukawa wondered, peering into the bag of delights that included bananas, sliced apples, grapes and protein bars. "i would give you a bottle of coconut water, but oikawa already drank your bottle," a glare is directed to their captain, happily chugging the water without any remorse.

iwaizumi, surprisingly, ignored the chance to bash on oikawa and grabbed a banana and a couple slices of apples. simply muttering a 'thanks'.

"i just saw a couple of yumie's friend when i came out of the bathroom," hanamaki offered, gesturing towards the direction of the bathrooms.

"thanks, maki." iwaizumi smiled in relief, bouncing off towards the hallway. although relieved, iwaizumi was hurt that she never responded to her texts.

'it's fine, her life doesn't revolve around you.' the boy scolded himself, forcing a smile when he makes eye contact with yumie's friends, the blonde's back facing him.

her friends look past her, yumie took the sign and looked back. her outfit surprises him. she wore his spare volleyball jacket, although she has worn it a handful of times, it was unusual for yumie be to wearing it. what caught iwaizumi's attention however was the mustard yellow shirt she wore underneath.

yumie is the type of person to spend more time color coordinating her outfits than to plan dates with iwaizumi, so the clash of turquoise and yellow made iwaizumi raise a brow. however, he decided against asking about it, convinced that he really has gone crazy and stomped all the thoughts of being a possessive boyfriend. yumie didn't like possessive or jealous guys.

"hey, love, hanamaki told me you were hear, so i wanted to see you before the match," iwaizumi's forced smile widened more, hugging his girlfriend. a smell of cologne invades his senses, making his brow furrow.

"hey haji, sorry i was busy," yumie cooed.

comparing yumie's friends to mindless zombies would be rude but not farfetched. so, when her friends noticed iwaizumi's eyebrows subtly furrow, it was a miracle one of them was able to react quickly and on the spot.

before he could ask about the cologne, the said girl spoke up, "yumie's been trying to find you a gift as a good luck and we were testing out different colognes for you, iwa." she said as she dug through her small bag, taking out a bottle of cologne and giving it to him.

iwaizumi internally winced at the nickname, not recalling a time the two have ever really talked. he looked at the girl suspiciously before brushing it off, "awe, you didn't have to do that, yumie. i appreciate it."

yumie's smile widens, giving him a peck on the lips, "what type of girlfriend would i be if i wasn't here for my loving boyfriend?"

the quick reaction was certainly surprising, but they still never think things through. that much was obvious when iwaizumi took a whiff of the cologne once the girls left. if the half used bottle wasn't already a sign for lie, it would've been the contrasting scents yumie and the cologne had.

iwaizumi sighed at his failed attempt to talk to yumie about their relationship.

oikawa will definitely scold him and for the first time in years, iwaizumi wouldn't try to stop him.

iwaizumi really didn't know what he expected when he saw her today

everyone was worried that their favorite cheerleader would be late to the game, since she was always there to greet them before warm ups. other than matsukawa, who only caught a glimpse of y/n when picking up the bag of treats from her house, no one has heard or seen her. iwaizumi wasn't worried though, seeing as it was a given that she would definitely be here before the game starts.

so when he heard a familiar voice call out to them, he was surprised once he saw her in the stands. upon seeing her outfit and clique volleyball cheer sign, iwaizumi can see why she took a little longer than usual to see everyone.

y/n was decked out in their school's colors and wore them well. he also noticed she wore their team's jacket. he assumed it was courtesy of oikawa.

"y/n-chan! i better hear you cheering for me!" "cheer for me the loudest, though!" "hi y/n-san!" the team cheer back, smiling widely at the girl. a few arguing over who y/n should cheer for the loudest. the few obviously consisting of hanamaki, matsukawa and oikawa.

iwaizumi catches her gaze and notices her grin reaches her eyes. he smiles back, a genuine smile that also reaches his eyes upon seeing her. he turns around, ready to warm up.

for some odd reason, seeing y/n l/n in their school colors gave him a boost of confidence and pride. a lot more than when he saw yumie.

not to mention, y/n looked much better in the jacket than yumie did.