chapter eleven

"iwa-chan~!" oikawa called out to the boy. practice ended a while ago and iwaizumi was about to walk home since yumie was with her friends.

"what's up, oikawa?" iwaizumi asked.

oikawa sighed after not hearing the usual nickname but decided not the speak up on it, "y/n-nee is treating us to barbecue and ramen, want to go?"

before iwaizumi could deny, his stomach growled. he forgot he'd skip out on breakfast and lunch. oikawa giggled a bit before dragging his bestfriend by the wrist, going towards the volleyball team and y/n.

"iwaizumi-san! it's good to see you come by." y/n greeted, happy that the vice captain agreed to go.

"uh, yeah, thanks for this, l/n-san." iwaizumi mumbled, keeping a distance after remembering what yumie had told him yesterday morning.

"i know a place here that should be of equal distance from everyone's houses." y/n says, leading the group with matsukawa and hanamaki next to her, cracking jokes and teasing their lower class men.

iwaizumi was in the back, surprisingly with oikawa who'd typically take any chance he could get to tease y/n.

"did uragiri-san tell you anything yesterday?" oikawa asked, his playful voice gone. instead, he added a mocking honorific and his voice was stiff and strict.

his bestfriend just huffed, "y/n could be using you, oikawa. you shouldn't be close to someone that quickly."

"better than avoiding her because of my manipulative girlfriend who twists everyone's actions." oikawa shot back.

iwaizumi had an irk mark on his forehead, already from the conversation, "she's not manipulative, just... worried for me and our relationship."

"yeah, well a girlfriend should also be worried when they notice their boyfriend clearly isn't doing well," oikawa grumbled. iwaizumi was about to argue back, but he beat him to it. "y/n-chan is doing this because she saw you're not doing well. though another major part is because she wants us to eat good for our match tomorrow."

"she knows about our match tomorrow?"

"mhm, she's practically our manager. we're still trying to get her to be one, but since she has work i don't blame her for not joining." oikawa responded, looking at the leaders of the group, "team's warming up to her already. even kunimi and yahaba. so think, maybe it's not because she's using us. maybe it's because she's generally caring, nice and easy to get along with."

iwaizumi hummed, also looking at the girl who's laughing at matsukawa and hanamaki's lame jokes, teasing the two a bit. before he could think more of oikawa's words, the team already arrived at the restaurants. on the right was a ramen shop while as the left was barbecue. in front of both places was a large seating area.

"ah, y/n-chan! welcome, are these your new friends?" the owner of the ramen place greeted.

"ah?! y/n-chan's back?!" the owner of the barbecue place yelled out from the back, rushing outside and greeted the girl.

y/n laughed embarrassingly, before turning to the team, "these are my grandparent's bestfriends. their business has been slow, so please eat to your heart's content!"

"thank you!" the team bowed happily.

iwaizumi went over to the counter, debating what food to wonder. he got distracted when he saw y/n wave her hand to get his attention, "ah— sorry iwaizumi-san, i have food already planned for you seeing as this was all i could make in a short amount of time." she said, going in the back of the barbecue shop.

not long after she came back out with a dish that was all too familiar. "agedashi tofu... how'd you know?"

"tooru-nii told me you liked it, and you've been looking down lately. is anything bothering you?" she wondered, leading the boy to sit in a chair while everyone else went to see what to order.

iwaizumi shook his head, not knowing weather or not to tell her what his girlfriend thought of her actions. "just some stuff."

y/n just nodded understandingly, "if you ever need anything, even if it's just someone to listen, don't hesitate to tell me, iwaizumi-san."

the girl was about to get up and leave, but iwaizumi called out to her, "l/n-san, you can call me 'iwa', and drop the '-san', i feel like we've known each other long enough."

y/n was surprised for a moment, but smiled brightly, "hai! you can call me by my first name, too, iwa-kun."

iwaizumi felt his cheeks heat up at the name, glad the girl had her back turnt to him so she couldn't see it. "i asked her to call me that, so why am i like this... why did i even ask her to call me that?" iwaizumi was brought back from his thoughts when his three other friends comeback, three ramen bowls and eight barbecue sticks.

"hah?! you get tofu from y/n-chan?" oikawa groaned at the sight.

"you are so lucky, iwa-chan." hanamaki said, matsukawa nodding in agreement.

"yeah, give me a bite—" matsukawa was about to steal a piece with his chopsticks until iwaizumi blocked of his path with his own chopsticks.

"yeah, that's going to be a no."

"don't be selfish iwaizumi!" "yeah, iwa, give me some of her food!" oikawa and hanamaki joined in, resulting in the three trying to steal food from their vice captain.

the other team members sweat dropped at their childishness before saying their prayers and eating their delicious food.