chapter two

"iwaizumi-san!" y/n greeted once the bell rang for lunch.

"y/n-san, do you need any help with anything?" iwaizumi wondered, a hint of concern lacing in his voice seeing as this was the first time she'd greeted him as soon as class ended.

y/n hummed, "eh, maybe. do you know the project about our career coming up?" he nodded. "i dream to be an athletic trainer and i was wondering if i could come by and watch the volleyball team after school?"

iwaizumi's eyes widened at her ambitious goal, something that was too familiar to his own. "uhm- sure, l/n-san, i'll ask coach irihata since coach mizoguchi is absent today, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind. unless there's a possibility you're a shittykawa fan?"

y/n laughed, shaking her head in a no matter. "shittykawa-san is admirable, maybe i should spend the time watching him instead."

iwaizumi also chuckled, glad the girl was able to understand the bit of humor he had at the end. "i'll let you know what he says, alright?"

"thank you so much, iwaizumi-san!" she bowed gratefully, smiling brightly at the boy, making him fluster from the unusual praise.

"it's no problem-" "hajime." iwaizumi looked over to the doorway of their classroom, green eyes meeting blue. "what's the hold up?"

"sorry, yumie, i was helping-"

"shut up. let's just go." the blonde rolled her eyes, arms crossing and glaring at his classmate.

"sorry, y/n-san. i'll try to let you know by the end of the day, okay?" he smiled before walking towards his girlfriend. he tried to give her a hug, but she continued to glare at the girl for a second longer before scoffing and turning away, completely ignoring his advancement.

"who is she?" yumie asked.

"a classmate."

"mhm." she hummed, as if saying 'yeah right'. they turned the corner and she pushed him against the wall rather roughly, "you're mine. make sure to let that classmate of yours know, 'kay?"

iwaizumi nodded. although she wasn't intimidating him one bit, he knew that she'd just ignore him until he lets y/n know and buy her some brand new items she's been wanting. "don't worry, yumie, i love you."

"you better." she says, kissing his cheek before walking off, "now, go practice. i don't want you to lose a game again."

it was the end of the day and the bell rang, signaling school was finally over

it was the end of the day and the bell rang, signaling school was finally over. it also meant volleyball practice.

iwaizumi remembered something, "l/n-san." he called, speed walking over to her desk, grateful she was still packing her school supplies.

"good afternoon iwaizumi-san!" she greeted, putting the last school supply in her bag and zipping it up.

"coach irihata said he doesn't mind you watching." he informed her.

"ah, thank you! i'm excited to watch you guys practice." she smiled, genuinely excited to watch the boys' practice.

it's been a while since iwaizumi has seen that in anyone other than volleyball players. before he was about to say something, an irritating voice called out. "yahoo~ iwa-chan, l/n-chan, too!"

y/n smiled brightly, "hi, oikawa-san. i'm watching your practice today."

oikawa returned the bright smile. "yay! maybe i'll have you swoon for me with my serves~."

"let's head out before coach bites our heads off." iwaizumi reminded, walking ahead of the two.

"is uragiri coming to watch also?" oikawa wondered, hoping that she wasn't.

iwaizumi shook his head, "where's the honorifics? anyways she had work."

"she doesn't deserve them, and thank god." oikawa thought before directing his attention to the girl next to him. "l/n-chan~ don't you also have work?"

y/n shook her head, "not today. my manager's kids are coming today so he let me off, hence why i'm able to watch your practice."

the two continue talking, iwaizumi occasionally joining in if they ask him a question or he adds in his own input on things. they make it to the gym, the three sharing a few of their favorite volleyball games they've seen in person. the door opens, and just as y/n stepped foot into the gym, a ball comes straight at her.

"stra- stray!"