Chapter Seven

Cardan grabbed Jude's hand as they exited his chambers, leading her in the opposite direction of the revel.

"Cardan.. what are y-"

He shushed her making quick work of speeding through the corridor.

Every time he had been on his way to a revel Nicasa had always met him on the way. But not today, today was going to be perfect and she wasn't about to ruin it.

He smiled to himself when they had reached another hallway.

"I want to take the long way." He finally replied, glad to be out of the danger zone. Jude sighed but did not argue.

Cardan saw it as a miracle that Nicasa hadn't bothered him while Jude had been in his chambers, he figured he had the G b host to thank for that.

"How have you planned to do this?" Jude asked, as they wondered through the almost empty castle.

Cardan looked at her sideways grinning. "I'm just going to tell them, I cannot lie, my sweet wife."

She looked at him questionably but did not argue instead she replied.

"Why do you call me that?"

"Call you what?"

"Sweet."

She almost groaned at it, something that made Cardan smile.

"Because you are." He replied, the distant sound of music drumming in his ears. Jude was mortal, he figured she could not hear their party yet.

Instead she chewed on her cheek. "I am not sweet, plus it doesn't sound badass."

Cardan laughed, "Trust me Jude your badass enough without a cool nickname."

She considered his words for a bit, walking in silence hand in hand with him.

Cardan enjoyed it, the music slowly getting louder the longer they walked.

Finally spoke. "Still.... sweet?"

"What would you rather have me call you?"

She didn't even have to consider it before she replied.

"Jude."

This time it was Cardan's turn to sigh.

"But that is so boring. Everyone can call you Jude, there's nothing special in that."

She nodded at him like that was normal. "Exactly" she finally said.

Cardan shook his head.

"I'm afraid I can not do what you have requested, Jude."

She looked at him confused for a moment before he stopped.

He watched with amusement as she almost walked into the door.

"I know I am a sight for sore eyes, but must you dent the ancient castle doors, while admiring me?"

Jude groaned at him before turning to face the door.

She looked nervous.

"Don't tell me your scared of a couple of fae." Cardan said in an attempt to be supportive.

Jude gave him an angry face. "I'm not." She snapped.

He clearly wasn't very good at this.

Opening the door to his revel he grabbed her hand.

"Come, I've been waiting for months to see everyone's faces."

As he entered he could've sworn he saw Jude's lips twitch upwards. However he did not have a chance to look again before they were next to his throne and the whole room went silent.