Chapter 39 - Start of the Apocalypse

I was laying in the hospital bed when Leah came rushing through. I was on some powerful painkillers, trying to reduce the throbbing that was pulsating through my body. When it first happened, I was convinced it was my ACL. I thought, there was no doubt about it, that I had done it. But after 5 minutes of continuous hell, I started to believe otherwise. When Beth and Viv did theirs, they said that it was initially painful, and then died off a little. It felt somewhat manageable to hobble on. Whereas, for me, it was constant. The pain was shooting right through my leg, and even through that hurt, I was somewhat grateful. I had a chance to make it, to the World Cup that is, if all bodes well.

"Are you okay?" Leah said, rushing beside me, and grabbing my hands. She looked frantic; I didn't like the stress I feared I was giving her.

"Yep," I said, laughing softly as I was high on the painkillers they were injecting into me. Leah chuckled softly, curling a piece of my hair behind my ear. She leaned her head on my stomach, my hard abs definitely not cushioning her cheek.

The doctor came in soon after to break the news: a tibia fracture. It wasn't a complete snap, and I wouldn't need surgery (another thing I was grateful for.) At least 3 months of recovery. At most, six months. I would be okay. The World Cup is seven months away. I would make that; it would take effort, but it was doable.

A cast was put on my leg, and when I looked at it, I nearly gagged. It was blue.

"I'm sorry," I said to the nurse, who was wrapping it up. "But I play for Arsenal, I can't have a blue cast." She looked at me, before starting to laugh. "Do you have red?" She nodded her head, before unwrapping the blue from my leg and reaching over to get the red.

"Sorry, I had to. Chelsea fan right here," she said, pointing towards herself. I chuckled softly, and soon my leg was all wrapped up, a cast that would be on there for a month. I sighed but knew I would have fun in the gyms (working only my arms. Of course.)

I woke up the next day, at home, in my own bed, to hundreds of messages. Everyone from fans, to opposition, to my teammates, and my family all messaged me to see how I was.

I posted a photo of me on the grass, my body covered by the medics but Leah standing in front of me, holding my hand.

Tippsjonesy: a broken leg was not on my bingo card for yesterdays game. Thx to everyone who messaged me. Lots of love for u lot, & hopefully will be back asap! ps dont sleep on the arsenal, we're just getting started ;)

Caitlinfoord: so strong!

Bethmead: we got u

Tippsjonesy: na queen, we got each other

Viviannemiedema: rehab sessions together

Tippsjonesy: ofc!

Leahwilliamsonn: my strong girl

I called Finn back, relaying what had happened and how long I would be out for.

"When do you start your rehab?" he asked.

"Once the cast is off," I replied. "But I'll just train with the girls in the gym and do the things I can do. Why?"

"Just wondering," he replied.

"What's up?" I asked him, knowing that there was something he wanted to say.

"I need you to come back," he then said, out of the blue, catching me by surprise.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"We need you back to talk to the police," he answered. "About him..."