Chapter 29 - Everything has Changed

"Sorry about the phone," I said to Finn, as I called him from the plane. I had just arrived back in London, ready for the start of the season with Arsenal.

"It's alright," he responded.

"I'll transfer you the money," I added, not taking no for an answer.

"That would be appreciated," he laughed. "That wedding took all the money I had away." I smiled through the phone, nodding my head.

The article went viral; it was read by nearly every person in Australia, and no doubt, all Arsenal fans who knew of me.

NEW DISCOVERY: Star footballer, Tippah Jones, left Lyon due to death of estranged father and splitting with partner, Ellie Carpenter.

Exclusive by: Shane Arnold

Tippah Jones, the star midfielder for the Arsenal Women's, left Olympique Lyonnais in the January 2022 transfer window. Despite being at the club for only one and a half years, her sudden departure left a large gap within the seemingly strong midfield of Lyon. Although her replacement, Lindsey Horan, is a World Cup-winning, stronghold, Jones' style is a different kind of play, that the Matildas, and now Arsenal, rely on.

The shock departure from Lyon to Arsenal was questioned by many, even those closet to the player. A disclosed source said that she "was surprised about the move" and that "it was never supposed to happen." This made many question what made everything change for Tippah?

It was soon brought to light that Jones' father, Michael Jones, suddenly died in December of 2021. Although estranged from his superstar daughter, Michael Jones' death could have played an important role in the decisive choice to leave the club. Michael, who's death was originally ruled a suicide, had not seen his daughter since she was 13.

However, many believe that the true reason Jones left the club was to do with her ex-partner, Ellie Carpenter. Carpenter, a 22-year-old Australian sensation, from a town only 30 minutes from Jones' childhood home, moved to Lyon with Jones, having both come from Portland in the NWSL. The two players had been at every club together, playing for Canberra, Western Sydney Wanderers, Melbourne City, and Portland together. The high school sweethearts, as many of their matildas teammates so fondly called them, supposedly broke up late 2021. Carpenter is now known to be in a new relationship with Dutch midfielder, Danielle Van De Donk, and Jones has all but confirmed her new relationship with England captain, Leah Williamson. Most likely, this relationship end played a large role in her decision to move across the channel, and play for the Gunners; it was the best decision, with the Arsenal needing a creative presence like Jones, and Jones needs the presence of a new time like Arsenal.

The article wasn't as bad as I first suspected it would be. He said nothing that everybody didn't already know. He said not much to do with my father, besides letting the world know that he was in fact dead (but, to be honest, if they cared enough they could've worked that out themselves.)

"Did you read it?" I asked Leah, as soon as I walked into our apartment.

"I didn't," she answered. "I didn't want to."

"It name drops you," I laughed.

"I figured," she responded, smiling softly. "Is anything bad said?"

"No," I answered. "But, I probably need to tell you something."

"What?" she asked, nervous.

"You know my dad died in December, and it was ruled a suicide."

"Yeah..." she answered.

"Well, police have reopened the investigation. They don't think it was a suicide anymore."

"Holy shit." She covered her mouth, looking at me with confused eyes. "What are they thinking?"

"I'm not sure," I answered, honestly. "But that Shane guy, the one who wrote the article, said that people are thinking homicide."

"Murder?" Leah asked.

"Murder."

We went to training the following day, and after grabbing Leah's kit by accident, I was stuck wearing it the whole day. Her long legs meant the tracksuit hung around my ankles, and as I went to pull the jumper on, my hands were covered by the sleeves.

"Why are your limbs so long?" I said to her, holding out both my arms sideways, looking at her with a frowned face. She chucked, before grabbing my body, wrapping her arms around my waist and lifting me up softly.

"Because I'm tall. Unlike you shortie," she joked.

"I. Am. Not. Short," I squealed, trying to hit her softly, but she dodged me and started running. "I'm not fucked to run!" I shouted, and she only gave me the middle finger before heading inside.

"That girl," I said, under my breath before catching up to her once more, having her arm wrap around my shoulders.

We trained that day, ready to start our season when the news dropped that the Queen died.

"What will this mean?" I asked Leah, as I had no clue about the point of the Royal Family, or what it meant for us.

"We probably won't play this weekend," she replied.

"Really?" I asked, slightly surprised.

"Well, she was the Queen, and normally we go into mourning when something like that happens."

Over the week, we then started to prepare, rather for our meant-to-be season opener against City, for our new opener against Brighton at Meadowpark. We were also going to be coming up against Ajax midweek in the first of a two-legged series to qualify for the groups of the Champions League. I was hoping, more than anything, that if we did qualify, we wouldn't be grouped with Lyon. I didn't want it to happen; it couldn't happen.

I needed space.

Our game against Brighton went well. Manu was in goals, Laura, Leah, Rafa and Katie were in the backline. Wally was the 6, and I played in as the central midfielder. Viv was playing at the 10, as Stina was up at the 9, and we had Foordie and Beth as the wingers. This team was an incredible line. There was no doubt we had it in us to win, and we did.

I scored first, through a Caitlin cross. In the second half, Stina got our second, assisted by Beth. Beth then got our third, assisted by Viv. And to close the evening, Beth secured a brace, putting in a solid player-of-the-match performance.

I saw her doing an interview, and as she did, I went over spraying her with water.

"You're welcome!" I said, laughing at her, running off.

Our mid week game against Ajax, in Holland, ended with a 2-2 draw. It was a scrappy, and messy game, that could've ended in an injury (and we were only lucky it didn't.) They scored first, but then we were awarded a spot kick. I scored the penalty, and Stina then got our second, but they equalisied in the 83rd. It was messy but we knew there was going to be another chance to do right.

"You right?" I asked Leah, as she walked inside after the game. She looked frustrated, which I could understand.

"Yeah," she answered, sitting next to me as Jonas came in for our pep talk. I put an arm around her, but I could tell something was wrong. Something changed in her, during that game. She was different. I just had to work out what it was, before it was too late.