Chapter 25

I hastened my steps avoiding the gaze of the maid who just walked past me with a slight bow

I needed to get to my room now. I practically ran forward at the sight of my mahogany door and unlocked it in a rush, banging the door behind me as I leaned my body against the door, taking deep breaths.

What was wrong with me? I was completely fine with any physical contact with Rose, even sexual ones. So why was it that these pure and innocent, non-sexual touches affected us both so much?

And seeing her cry made something stir in my heart that I hadn't felt for a long time. The last time I felt such emotions was probably when Mom left. I felt frustrated, both mentally and sexually. It wasn't like me to fret over someone shedding tears.

And the night talk I had with her; it just hit different. Listening and talking to each other and being candid, showing parts of our true selves. For her, it was talking about her father, for me it was holding and touching her. We both had a different way of showing it.

Mom had once told me, ''One day you will meet someone who will talk to you and hold onto you at night. And it will feel just different from the entire world.''

I never understood its meaning, no matter how many years passed, no matter how mature I became, I still couldn't decipher its meaning.

But now I understand and feel every word of hers.

I took a deep breath and pushed myself away from the door I walked towards the cabinet of liquor and poured myself a drink as I sat on the beige couch.

For a while, I did nothing but pour myself a few drinks and occasionally watch the tiny ripples of the bronze liquor as it swished and hit the walls of the glass. I gulped down the last of the liquor before throwing my heels away in different directions and plopping down on the bed, face down.

Minutes later the tiredness overcame my consciousness and I fell asleep.

The next morning I found myself being dragged by Rose who was hell-bent on taking me outside with her, saying I don't get to enjoy my life and that it was unfair