Chapter 18

A light scream was heard across the hall and I instantly recognised it

A light scream was heard across the hall and I instantly recognised it. Rose. I left my conversation with Carlsen and hurried my steps towards the direction of the sound.

I don't know why, but my stomach and chest clenched slightly in fearful anticipation of what would have happened to her.

But that fear and anticipation slowly turned into unbelievable surprise and irritation.

She was trapped in a bear hug. Her friend - her name was Sirena I believe - was hugging her so tightly her body was crammed. She was shaking her legs back and forth in an attempt to escape.

I decided to step up, ''Okay, okay let her go. She can't breathe or move.''

Sirena let her go almost immediately and then looked at me with a surprised expression and wide eyes which soon turned into a full-blown smile as she began approaching me.

God no.

Stepping back a little at her wide arms I cleared my throat, ''Hello. Nice to meet you.''

Not really.

Her arms dropped but there was still an amused smile on her face. She looked at me as if thinking why I wasn't smiling or why I wasn't cheerful about this holy matrimony.

I scoffed mentally. Neither my dad nor anyone including Rose has seen me crack a genuine smile and she expects one from me for her?

She definitely ain't getting one.

Turning to face Rose she asked, ''Why haven't you introduced me to her? Is she your date?''

Rose, who was watching the exchange between the two of us snapped out of her train of amused thoughts and looked between Sirena and me, a troubled look on her face.

My eyebrow and the corner of my lips both lifted. Forgot to improvise, didn't you, my beautiful doll?

Incoherent stutters left her pretty little mouth for a few seconds, ''We're dating.'' Then she looked at me helplessly and shrugged.

Like hell we are. Oh, you're so done Rose.

''Wait really?'' Sirena snapped her head towards me, eyes shining like those of a toddler on Christmas,''Oh what's your name?''

''Clecentine.'' I answered plainly, leaving the rest of the story to be elaborated by Rose.

''Well yes. We are dating. Just, you know. Like, um, we're not official yet.'' Rose sucked a deep breath, fiddling with her nails and fingers. When her friend's attention shifted from her she moved her arms crazily pointing towards herself and me, as if asking me to help and back up her story. But I just shrugged nonchalantly.

Sirena didn't see through her lie, thankfully and burst into claps and cheers, jumping up and down.

What she did next surprised me. She announced loudly, ''Rose has got a date, guys. She's gonna have a girlfriend soon.''