xiv. death

Everyone had assembled in the court when dawn embraced Persia

Everyone had assembled in the court when dawn embraced Persia. In colours of light azure and faint sunshine the gloomy hall was illuminated. On the old throne sat Shahryar, his rule rickety and unstable. Shahrazad wasn't there in the court. No one asked where he was.

The silence weighed on Firdaus like a hundred bolts of lightning. His lips were sealed with hot molten gold. He felt what disaster was going to come. However he couldn't stop its arrival.

Shahryar stood up and took off his crown, and gently kept it on the throne. His midnight curls fell like the several loose stamen of a flower.

"I decide to abdicate the throne."

Parmenion's lungs enlarged as a jet of fresh air barged in. It refilled his core with newfound hope. He walked to the front and asked, "Do you do this consciously?"

Shahryar's eyes bore into his. Parmenion, for one last time, bowed his head.

"I do this with all knowledge," Shahryar said. "I abdicate the throne. I give up kingship."

"Very well, then." Parmenion unsheathed his sword. "You are no more our Shah, and neither is your husband the Shahamsar-am."

"I have abdicated the throne. He hasn't. Indra, the king of gods, may go and come, but Indrani, his queen and real power, remains in her position."

"You intend to give up on him?"

"I don't. But none of us have the right to snatch away the life he is living. I may go away, but he shall remain in power still."

Parmenion heaved a sigh. He paced up and down the hall, the thudding steps of his sandals pushing down the barriers of quietude. He gestured Mahfuzur to come over and whispered in his ears. Then turning to the former Shah, he smiled akin to a malevolent genie.

"You made a grave mistake, Shahryar. Now be ready to face the wind."

"I am ready for all that comes."

"Naseer, I ask you to imprison Shahryar in the dungeon. Keep him and Dunyazad in the same ugly cell. And..."

"And what else, Master?" Adonis asked.

"Imprison Firdaus too." Parmenion smirked.

The spear fell from the hands of Firdaus. Before he could comprehend what was happening, Adonis and Naseer had held him back by force. Ropes were brought to tie up his hands at the back.

"Parmenion? Is this what I get for my service?" Firdaus screamed and struggled with the two men. The shock of the moment crippled him. Adonis was like his shadow. That young man could betray him?

"I know who is the loyal dog and who isn't. Adonis informed me of your intentions."

Firdaus glared at the young melophoroi. He was going to curse the audacity of the boy whom he had trained, but Adonis slightly pressed his hands.