viii. new rules

Shahryar was still in shock of everything, but Shahrazad didn't show any sign of surprise at all

The consort sat on his bed with a box of dazzling jewellery. He toyed with the open-ended bracelets and the seashell trinkets. Surrounding him in a circle were other boxes and gem-studded daggers, all gifts received in their marriage.

Shahrazad wore a pair of earrings and gave a toothy smile to Shahryar. "Shah, aren't these wonderful?"

Beams of golden light soaked in rosy red streamed in through the the windows to set the gloomy chambers of the Shah on a warm fire. They wove a mesh of light and shadow on Shahrazad's face, reflecting off his pale green eyes in a way that those appeared like a pair of gemstones. His eyes had fascinated Shahryar. It reminded him of a boy whom he had seen too long ago, yet the moments they had shared were etched in his memory like an unforgettable dream.

"They are beautiful," he said, exhaling deeply as he looked at the setting sun.

"Me or the sky?" Shahrazad asked.

Shahryar snorted. "You talk a lot."

"Only with you, Shah. I have always wanted to talk to you."

Shahryar kept the earrings in the box, a wan shadow falling over his face. No, he had thought it would be too easy to melt the Shah, but the man had changed so much. He had closed himself to all sorts of colour and cheer. Shahrazad yearned to converse with him all day long, know him closer than his chasing dreams. Yet, despite being so close to the Shah, they were far apart– not just separate beds but they had separate hearts too.

"I have decided to make some changes. You have opened my eyes," Shahryar said. "Parmenion should be coming soon."

"What do you have in mind?"

"I have been a foolish man all along. I should have taken better measures. It's never too late, I believe, so I better do it now."

A suspenseful thud of sandals on the marble could be heard that intensified slowly, pausing as it reached the Shah's chambers.

"The hazahrapatish seeks a meeting," the guard announced.

"Let him in," Shahryar instructed.

Parmenion had returned after training the bodyguards of the Shah. Despite the onset of old age, senescence didn't have a hold on him. He had broad shoulders and a tall height that complemented his bulky build of a warrior. He had oceanic blue eyes which glimmered like waves dancing under the moon.

Parmenion bowed to the royal couple. "The Shah wanted to see me?"

Shahryar stood up. "Yes. I have taken a decision."

Parmenion's eyes shone brightly. He joined his hands at the back and bent forward a little. "And that is?"

"Shahrazad has not only given to me hope but to all of Persia. And to celebrate this hope I am introducing certain rules in the game."

Shahrazad smirked when the Shah referred to the bloody affairs of the palace as a game. Indeed, it was a game of life and death.

"From now on, the food that we will be eating shall be first tasted by you, Parmenion."

Parmenion's eyes widened. He gathered his messy senses and blinked rapidly. "Oh, alright. I will do so."

Shahryar continued, "The plates where Shahrazad and I will be eating shall be chosen by us. The water will be checked before the bath by me and the doctor."

Parmenion nodded. "Great measures. We should have done it before, Shah. Nevermind, we will ensure that the consort is safe."

"That's all I had to say. Please send in Firdaus."

Parmenion took his leave.

Shahrazad shook his head. "Shah, you should have done all this way before."

"I had never had the slightest idea that it could be a conspiracy and not a curse."

"You were made to believe you were cursed, Shah. But in reality it is nothing paranormal at all. It is your own blindness to the events occurring around you."

"Everyone had worked to find the root of it all, but in vain. Then I..."

Shahryar hang his head, closing his eyes in shame.

"Then you, Shah?"

"Leave it. You already said you don't believe it's a curse."

The past poked him. Had he delivered injustice to the woman who was the first one to be wedded to him? But she was guilty. She had sinned. She had betrayed him. Even the wicked would beg at the dawn of death and her tears during her last moments could have been just filled with regret.

"The second among the melophoroi, Firdaus, waits to be summoned," the guard announced.

"Let him in," Shahryar ordered.

A fair man with monolid eyes entered the room. He had long hair like both Shahrazad and Shahryar and was very pleasing to look at. He gave off an aura of calmness and sublimity that caught the attention of Shahrazad.

"I have a new duty for you, Firdaus."

The man smiled amicably. "I will be happy to take more challenges."

"You have been serving me since years, and have seen the massacres that have plagued my life. Those dreaded incidents now seem to have come to a halt, but I cannot be completely sure of it."

"The hazahrapatish told me about the new rules. I appreciate those."

"I understand that my consort will be targetted, and along with that I feel his sister is also in danger. Thus I want to hand over her to someone who will protect her diligently. Yes, you Firdaus, I want you to be now a bodyguard to Dunyazad."

Shahrazad gaped at the Shah. He did have his doubts with everyone in the palace, but this mere gesture of the Shah won him over. He had the welfare of his sister in his mind. Even though Shahrazad trusted none of the melophoroi or even the hazahrapatish, he had to take this risk. After all, Firdaus would not dare to harm her while being entrusted with the duty of guarding Dunyazad.

"I hope you have no problem with this?" Shahryar asked Shahrazad.

"I don't. Thank you for considering the wellness of my sister."

"I will do my duty and never let harm befall on her," Firdaus assured. 

"I am trusting you, Firdaus. Don't let me down," Shahrazad said.

"I promise I won't."

New rules had been set in the palace. Shahrazad understood it would now be difficult for the conspirator to navigate, though not impossible. The culprit hid behind a mask of loyalty and Shahrazad had to pull it off.

Maybe all was safe for now. But it won't be too long before trouble knocked.

Son of MahOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara