xii. the youngest of melophoroi

Shahrazad's stomach grumbled

Shahrazad's stomach grumbled. It was as loud as ten trumpets blowing at the arrival of the Shah.

Shahryar's eyes bored into him. Shahrazad grinned sheepishly while rubbing his stomach.

"Well, I understand." Shahryar chewed on an apple and threw it at Shahrazad. "They are being late today with the meal. Have an apple for now."

Shahrazad held the apple like his life depended on it. Should he keep it on the altar and worship it as the first gift from his beloved, an offering of love? Or should he make it gilded and keep in a secret, safe place?

Well, since Shahryar had intended for him to eat it, Shahrazad now munched on the apple, beginning exactly at the same place where Shahryar had bit. He savoured the juicy fruit slowly, sometimes dreaming that this was an indirect kiss– he was placing his lips where Shahryar's had touched.

No wonder Dunyazad will think I am mad.

"Your sister doesn't know manners. Teach her some."

The chunk of apple almost got stuck in his throat. "Oh, yes. I am extremely sorry for how she behaved."

"At least you aren't so rash. You are more like, clingy, maybe. Though none of these was expected from the children of Bagaos."

Shahrazad rested his face on his cupped palms. "So what did you expect?"

Shahryar scratched his chin. "Someone who was intelligent, polite and–"

"I am very sweet, my Shah, so sweet that you think I am clingy. Should I instead be rough?" He licked his lower lip.

"Absolutely not. Just... be in your limits." Shahryar flinched, whether at his own voice or the way his spouse was looking daggers at him, he didn't know.

"And as of intelligence, I think, no offence intended, I am smarter than you Shah. I fooled death twice."

"Ah, when I think like that you aren't so sugary as one might think. You are like a dagger dipped in a syrup of bittersweet berries."

"Tangy, naughty."

"Please maintain dignity in your words."

"I can be shameless in front of my spouse."

Shahryar massaged the bridge of his nose.

"No I mean, I understand what all you have gone through," Shahrazad said, twisting his fingers. "I suppose it's only natural for you to hold yourself back from any kind of relationship. It will hurt you– that's what you think. But my Shah, I believe you better pity your self and give it another chance. Look, I am not inclined to lecture you on the wisdom of life and the beauty of love–"

"–but straightaway charge at me with your overly romantic gestures."

A blushing Shahrazad shrugged. "I do what I am best at."