24. The Night Of Part 2

Marshall's P.O.V.

Entering through the back entrance of the hospital Kim is currently being held at, the first thing I see is both of my daughters, sitting in the waiting room with tears in their eyes, my aunt Betty right beside them, comforting them the best way she can.

The mental image of that alone is enough to mess me up like a motherfucker, but I know I've gotta keep it together for my girls. So I pull the brim of my Kangool hat low over my eyes, trying to be as inconspicuous as I possibly can and approach my loved ones, while keeping my head cautiously down. Last thing I need is to be recognized right now and for a whole circus to break out in this place.

"Dad," Hailie says softly, looking up and being the first one to spot me.

My security trailing somewhere behind me, I gesture for them to keep their distance and go to sit down next to the girls. I hug both of them and Betty.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, no doubt it's Aisha trying to call me. I ignore it. Don't even know why I keep being a dick to her at this point, but my daughters are my first priority right now anyway. I speak softly to them and comfort them the best way I can while we all await the news about their mother's condition.

Eventually, about a half hour or so later, a doctor comes our and approaches us.

His name tag says Dr Morin, and he nods at me as I get up.

Hailie and Alaina both peak at him from behind my back, but the man ends up actually pulling me aside from them, to which I am grateful.

What he tells me pretty much confirms what I've had previously heard from Paul over the phone. That Kim is believed to have tried to commit suicide by flipping her car off of the road, basically causing the accident and that she was high and drunk out of her mind.

I run my hands down my face, feeling anger welling up inside of me. Why would she fucking do this shit man?! What reason does she have to..

"Is she awake now?" I ask as calmly as I can out loud.

"Yes, but we would only allow one visitor at the time for her at this point, in order not to overwhelm her."

"How is she... What condition is she in?" I ask carefully, causing the doc to answer me in this clinical voice they always use. Always friendly and slightly detached.

"She is stable, and we currently have her on pain medication. She's a bit groggy because of it, but she would be alright. There are no lasting injuries."

"Okay, that's good," I nod. "Let me go in and see her then, and then I'll decide if it's okay for my daughters to go in or not."

Stepping inside Kim's hospital room and seeing her hooked up to the IV, I get a sense of déjà vu. Fuck man, I hate these places.

I linger at the door for a minute, then awkwardly walk in with my hands shoved in my pockets. I'm trying hard not to be pissed at her, but I can't help it.

"Marshall," she croaks, lifting up her head. "You came to see me."

I sigh and plop in a chair next to her bed.

"Yo, what the fuck, Kim?" I speak quietly, feeling my jaw clench in anger. "What is up with you, why would you do this dumb shit?"

"I don't know," she replies back.

My mind flashes to that other time she had tried to kill herself before. Back when I did that damn song onstage during one of my shows while she was at the audience watching. Wasn't my proudest moment.

And I'm probably being a dick again right now.

"Shit, are you even okay? How you feeling?" I ask in a softer voice, and she suddenly catches an attitude.