26: Erilyn

The pain was excruciating, the burning undeniable. I wanted to scream, to cry, to die. Anything to make the pain stop. The scent of my burning skin overwhelming my senses. The pain that followed as I gritted my teeth, holding back the tears as I glared at Ryan. His twisted smile as he cut pieces of my skin from the muscle. Him on top of me, in me, as I withdrew deeper into my mind, going numb. Him whispering... 

"Do you think she'll wake up soon?" I heard Dimitri's concerned voice whisper. 

"Her vitals look good. It's possible she could here soon. But that damage done to her was extreme. She'll likely be uncomfortable and suffer from some level of post traumatic stress." I didn't recognize the voice and turned my head, slowly opening my eyes to the bright sunlight flooding my room. I groaned, trying to get my eyes to adjust as I heard someone rush to my side. 

"Erilyn? Are you awake?" Dimitri's voice was pained and concerned as I heard him move closer to me. 

"Can you get me some water?" I asked, trying to ignore the burning pain across my body as saliva built in my dry mouth. I was on the verge of being sick, and it was taking everything I had to keep my stomach from lurching. Once it did that would be it. "Actually, I need to get sick." No sooner I said that I leaned over, barely making it to what felt like the edge of my bed, and vomited. Dimitri carefully held my hair up and motioned for someone to come over, and I recognized Tory's voice as she rushed to gather towels and cleaning supplies. "Ugh." I moaned as I laid back into my pillows, trying to relax despite the pain. 

I tried to open my eyes again and looked over at Dimitri. His eyes were glossed over as I blinked a few times, waiting for my eyes to adjust. "Hi." I murmured, and he faintly smiled as he brought my hand up to his lips and kissed it. 

"Hello my Love." Tears fell from his eyes as he brought my hand to his cheek, holding it tight as he leaned over and wept. I saw Tory look surprised, whether it was by Dimitri's confession or his weeping I wasn't sure, but I nodded towards her as I reached my other hand up and ran my fingers through Dimitri's hair. 

"Please stop crying. I'm here, I'm alive." Dimitri looked up at me and I tried to gently smile, wiping a tear from his face. "How long have I been out?" 

"A little over a week Highness. Dimitri never left your side." Tory said as she finished cleaning up the liquids from beside my bed. She brought over a glass of water, as well as a carafe should I need more. 

"I love you." I told Dimitri, my heart full as I examined him. He looked exhausted and disheveled, his eyes red from crying and dark from lack of sleep. "Come here." I whispered, pulling my hands from him and moving over to make room for him. I held my arms out and Dimitri smiled, wasting no time as he crawled into bed with me, gentle as he laid his head on my chest. A spot started to burn, but I ignored it, taking in his warmth as I pulled my body closer to him and held him. "I love you so much." 

"I love you with everything I am Erilyn. I don't think I can ever live without you." I kissed his forehead as he tightened his arm around me, hoping to provide him some sort of comfort. As we laid there, the pain returned and I shifted, uncomfortable as the burning continued. "I'm so sorry Erilyn. I'm so sorry. I should-" 

"Please stop." I muttered sternly. "I will hear no apology from you Dimitri. You saved me. Everything else was out of your hands." 

"I'm just so happy you're awake." I tried to focus on his breathing to distract myself from the pain, and tried to lay as still as possible as his breathing slowed and he drifted into sleep. I took the time to lift my one arm and look at the damaged caused. I had cuts and bruises, areas where Ryan had dug the blade into my skin closed with stitches. The sliced skin from the cuffs I had on my wrists were slowly healing, the skin scabbed and stretched. I could feel the brand on my hip even if I couldn't see it, the pain there throbbing endlessly.