32. mystery man

For the last three days, guilt has been eating me alive

After the camping trip, after sharing such strong words of admiration with Alex, I can't stomach the thought of keeping secrets from him. But a part of me doesn't want to destroy the whole world around him.

Everything he thought about Liam might be wrong. The one person he said he could trust, the one person who he loved to the end of this earth. And he's nothing but a liar and a manipulator.

Nothing more has been said at work and nothing more has been said about the investigation. Which is why I'm sceptical whether or not what they've said about Liam is even true in the first place and I don't want to be the person putting thoughts into Alex's head when they're in fact lies.

I make my way over to Chessman's for lunch because I can't stand to be at the office for a second longer. I need a moment away to collect my thoughts. I've been distracted, even my manager can see it. Which is why I need some fresh air and the most mundane conversation I can have.

When I reach the cafe, Luca and Demi are behind the counter. I spot Mason sitting in the closest chair to them, phone in hand and a blended smoothie on his table.

"Hey, River," Demi spots me as the bell on the door rings.

Luca shoots his head towards me and offers me a small smile. I haven't seen anyone but Alex since our trip and it's safe to say that we were all doing our fair share of recovering. My legs have never felt so sore in my life after all that walking we endured. But it was totally worth it for the beautiful scenery and the experience as a whole. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

"Hey guys," I wave a hand and walk to the counter. "Could I get the usual, please?"

She nods and gets to work. "Of course."

Luca is already making a coffee for someone else and handing it to them at the end of the counter, pointing to the extra sugar and milk. I find myself staring at the board for no particular reason except this is the first time today I feel like I'm not going to scream at myself for what I've already caused.

"River?" Demi waves a hand in front of my face.

I blink once and then twice, focusing my gaze on her long braid over her shoulder. "Oh," I clear my throat. "Thank you."

Demi tilts her head in my direction and frowns. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I shake my head and take the cup, thanking her.

"Don't lie to me," she folds her arms over her chest like a protective mother. "I know when something is wrong. You always have this pained expression on your face and it doesn't look good. So tell me what's up right now."

I inhale and glance around the cafe. Mason is indulged in his phone behind me and Luca leaves the counter to go into the back room.

"It's not about the weekend, is it?" Concern flashes past Demi's eyes but when I shake my head it's blinked away in a flash.