14. nerd power

Everyone laid low for the following days after my party

Everyone laid low for the following days after my party. Mason was a mess, Troy certainly missed the toilet later in the night whilst Demi had to carry his heavy body to the taxi downstairs. I'm pretty sure me, Alex and Demi were the only ones sober. Even my sister was getting on my nerves.

I cared more for the food. Alex's delicious canapes that went down a treat. I'm still thinking about them now. I can't believe he thought he wasn't all that, he has talent that needs to be recognised. But I know how humble Alex wishes to stay.

When I head down to Chessman's before I'm due at work, I'm desperate for my coffee fix. This week has been hectic and it's only Wednesday, another full day of placements with the youths of this town.

I adore my job but sometimes I find it hard to relax when I'm constantly thinking about it. I never want to let any of the kids or the institutions we work with down, that's the absolute last thing I want. Knowing that we are helping these children with their futures, with inspiration, it's the best part of my job.

"Hey," I call out as I step into the cafe.

Demi is serving a customer and waves at me as Luca makes the drink. "Hey, Riv," Demi smiles when she shuts the till. "How've you been feeling since Saturday?"

"Wasn't even drunk," I admit. "Just there for the vibes."

She grins at me. "Can't believe you didn't get absolutely paralytic at your birthday, I think Troy did that for you."

"Pretty sure my toilet is still clogged," I joke.

Demi grimaces at my words as Luca places the freshly made drink at the end of the counter. Then he turns to me and smiles. "Usual?"

"Of course," I nod and fish out some money from my pocket. "Thanks."

I watch as Demi pulls away from the counter and wipes down a spillage near the sugar and milk section. "So have you heard from Alex?" Luca asks as he makes my coffee.

My eyebrow quirks but I don't look at him. "What do you mean?"

Luca huffs out a deep meaningful sigh. "After our first date, we've been texting a bit. I've been asking for a second date but it just hasn't happened yet and I'm beginning to freak out. Do you think I've done something?"

"Luca," I snap him out of his rambling as those blue eyes float to mine. "He's probably just super busy right now. He's started a new job, he's in a new town, adjusting. Don't be angry at him for figuring his shit out first. He probably gets home exhausted."

He blinks once and then twice. "Oh," he's deflated and I hate seeing him like this. The same way I've seen him plenty of times after being rejected by another guy who isn't his prince. But deep down, I don't think Alex is for him. "Do you think he likes me?"

I huff out a breath through my nose, resisting the urge to pinch the bridge out of frustration. I despise when he speaks about Alex, liking him, and dates. It's all too much and I just want to ignore every part of it. Why am I the one in the middle of this?